Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel leaked everywhere - how does this happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had fuel in the oil so many times, I lost count. I learned (the hard way) to (1) always turn the petcocks to OFF when I'm not riding, even in the middle of a trip when we stop to eat, (2) never "never" use the PRIME setting, and (3) always look at the oil window before I pull it out, to make sure that gas still did not get in there.

I am also told that on the kick stand, the gas flows out of the air box, but on the center stand (where I always store it) the gas will get into the crank; regardless of how perfect your carbs are.

I have NOT removed the octy, in spite of all the recommendations to do so; but when I follow my 3 rules (above) I am usually good.

Change the oil cold, clean out the filter area before you put it back together, and you should be fine.
    1979 XS1100 Special - On the Road https://xs11.club/core/images/smilies/smile.png
    1973 RD350 - In the Shed https://xs11.club/core/images/smilies/frown.png

Comment

If you are still uncomfortable parking the bike, park it on the centerstand and put a 2x4" or 2x6" board under the front wheel. If the petcocks leak, the fuel will go back into the airbox instead of into the engine. I did that for awhile before I got confidence in my bikes.

Good advice from SteveO, "Check the sight glass every time before you start it". I make this a habit, like looking over your shoulder before making lane changes.
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
        I've had fuel in the oil so many times, I lost count. I learned (the hard way) to (1) always turn the petcocks to OFF when I'm not riding, even in the middle of a trip when we stop to eat, (2) never "never" use the PRIME setting, and (3) always look at the oil window before I pull it out, to make sure that gas still did not get in there.

I am also told that on the kick stand, the gas flows out of the air box, but on the center stand (where I always store it) the gas will get into the crank; regardless of how perfect your carbs are.

I have NOT removed the octy, in spite of all the recommendations to do so; but when I follow my 3 rules (above) I am usually good.

Change the oil cold, clean out the filter area before you put it back together, and you should be fine.
        Actually, with bike on centerstand, a shorty 2"x4" under front wheel, fuel will never flow forward into crankcase.......better yet, fix the leaky float needle issue
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
          No need to remove it. It's a safety device, and if it's working, fuel will not flow to the carburetors without vacuum pulling the valve open. If it's broken, fix it. Winter is for wrenching.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Correct answer ,

what was the ?

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            No need to remove it. It's a safety device, and if it's working, fuel will not flow to the carburetors without vacuum pulling the valve open. If it's broken, fix it. Winter is for wrenching.
            1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
            1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
            1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
            1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
            1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

We have had nasty and cold weather here, even snow, so the bike has been sitting with the gas in the crankcase. I hope to be able to change the oil tomorrow. I kind of want to start it up to get a little heat so it drains better. Would 20-30 seconds hurt anything?

As I mentioned, all 4 needle and seats are brand new. My only guess is that one of the floats hung up on the side of the bowl or something. Maybe one of the posts is a tiny bit bent. Thinking of swapping all 4 out next time I have the carbs off.
              1980 XS1100G. Work in progress.
              1980 XS1100G. 2nd work in progress.

Comment

Rather than start it, put a 100W light under the engine to use as a heater. You could also use a hotplate, set to low, to warm it up.
                You don't really want to start the engine because the start is when all the wear occurs with the bearings. With no oil film, the bearings go VERY QUICKLY, so it's not a good idea.
                Oh, and I'm getting some of your cold down here! it was 37F on the way in to work this morning.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

You said that you had a gas soaked floor. Be super careful about heating that could cause more fume emanation and present flame hazard...
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Don't

Originally posted by ThrottleJunky View Post
                    We have had nasty and cold weather here, even snow, so the bike has been sitting with the gas in the crankcase. I hope to be able to change the oil tomorrow. I kind of want to start it up to get a little heat so it drains better. Would 20-30 seconds hurt anything?

As I mentioned, all 4 needle and seats are brand new. My only guess is that one of the floats hung up on the side of the bowl or something. Maybe one of the posts is a tiny bit bent. Thinking of swapping all 4 out next time I have the carbs off.
                    I would recommend NOT starting it with gas in the crankcase - hot or cold. Drain the gas/oil out. Then start it. You may consider changing it twice. Oil is much cheaper than engine damage.
                    1981 XS1100H Venturer
                    K&N Air Filter
                    ACCT
                    Custom Paint by Deitz
                    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                    Stebel Nautilus Horn
                    EBC Front Rotors
                    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment