Putting the sport back into sport cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting the sport back into sport cruiser

So......it has been over a year now but I have finally been able to make some progress on a trio of 80/81 XS that I picked up a while back. Over the summer I was finally able to really go through them and get an idea of what I had.

The engine in the LG is going to need a rebuild. Rod bearing is super tight, not seized but not right either. Yet to pull the case apart to see if it is a spun bearing or what but it isnt good. The engine from the H is actually solid. Using that as the current build. Stole the cylinders and head from the LG to use on the H engine. Barrels needs a good cleaning so dingle balled them and got a new set of ebay rings to slap in. This is only going to be a temp engine while I bore and build the LG. Tore apart the head and gave that a good cleaning. I work in the same building as a machine shop so I can get them to give it a good deck. Also picked up a set of early model cams. Should help.....we will see.

Only came with one set of carbs. Pulled those apart and found 3 out of 4 diaphragms were bad. Checked out pricing and decided instead to get a set of ZRX carbs. Hard to beat a set for $150.

Somehow the bikes came with ZERO front brake parts. Decided that if I am going to spend money on brakes I might as well upgrade them, and if upgrading the brakes I might as well upgrade the entire front end. Hence, going with the busa swap. Picked up all the components individually on ebay (about 175 for everything) and some bearings from all balls (should be in by this weekend so I can hang the front end on the frame).

Between all 3 bikes, only got 1 wiring harness. I made sure everything was hooked up and tested continuity throughout. Seems like it is good. I will know more once I get coils and a battery and can give it a real test. It had a few spots that were hacked as they tried to modify the lights and turn signals. Should be an easy fix though.

I know that the majority of everyone on this forum dislikes bikes being cut apart but I decided this sport cruiser needed more sport. Not going cafe style but maybe a few cues. Think more V-Rod meets cafe meets XS. Straight line without completely crapping your pants in the turns.

I will try to post more over the winter as I get more time and parts. In lieu of more details I will try to post some pictures soon.
    81 "Cafe" Build
    80 MNS
    81 MNS

Sounds all good what your doing.....cept I would NOT use the early cams with the later model heads. The early cams having the higher lift could easily interfere with the later head intake valves at high rpm.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Here are a few pics to show the progress

Picked up all 3 for $500. As you can see.....they werent great.

Decided to take the most complete one, tear that down, and use that as the base for the build.

Got it down to bare frame and cleaned up the tabs and clipped off the tail. Going to rebuild that but have not fully decided on a seat yet so this is how it sits.

Barrels were ok but needed a good cleaning. dingle balled them.

Before....

After....

And new rings...

Bought all the components and assembled the busa forks (have the upper clamp and bearings, just not in this picture.

And got a set of carbs.... Thanks ebay

Could use a good cleaning but everything is functional

That is about it for now. Hopefully will have time this weekend to get the engine back together and get the front end hanging. Still need to pick up an axle/wheel for the front as well as brakes but that will happen in due time.
      81 "Cafe" Build
      80 MNS
      81 MNS

Comment

I appreciate the ideal crosshatch pattern using the ball hone.

I moved the hone in and out too quickly on my first and only attempt and got a pattern closer to 90 degrees instead of the ideal 30 to 60 degree pattern.
        -Mike
        _________
        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
        '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
        '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
        '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
          I appreciate the ideal crosshatch pattern using the ball hone.

I moved the hone in and out too quickly on my first and only attempt and got a pattern closer to 90 degrees instead of the ideal 30 to 60 degree pattern.
          I have "garage rebuilt" a few engines and learned the speed for a decent crosshatch. They cleaned up better than expected. I wasnt sure if they would clean up that well.
          81 "Cafe" Build
          80 MNS
          81 MNS

Comment

Am I the only one who cannot see these images?
            80 SG Canada

Comment

Originally posted by dansmith65 View Post
              Am I the only one who cannot see these images?
              Nope just Xs to me also.
              79 SF

Comment

Hey Tobi,

I can't see any images either. You're using Google and it doesn't allow 3rd party hosting from your account. YOU may be able to see them because you possibly logged into your Google account, but for the rest of us, we can't see them.

You'll need to use a different photo hosting service like imgur.com or even photobucket , at least the Google Chrome will display PB linked images.

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Sorry about that guys. I will get them fixed today some time.
                  81 "Cafe" Build
                  80 MNS
                  81 MNS

Comment

That's weird. Yesterday I could see the pictures and today I can't.
                    I use MSN with Internet Explorer. Strange.

Comment

Here you go. (insert images where missing in above post)

I will do it right the first time for now on......maybe

81 "Cafe" Build
                      80 MNS
                      81 MNS

Comment

Nice I can see pics now

Like the frontend. Did you get the top tree also or going to use the XS one? I know all balls makes all sorts of bearing kits.

What year is the one with the swooping wheels ? I have an 83 Maxim that has the same rims and they are growing on me......
                        79 SF

Comment

If you are talking about the gold wheels in the first pic, that is an 81 MNS.

Yes, ihave the upper clamp and a set of bearings. Plan on working on it this weekend and hopefully i can get it all mounted and get a pic or two
                          81 "Cafe" Build
                          80 MNS
                          81 MNS

Comment

Working...
                          X