Led headlight for a 78 xs11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Led headlight for a 78 xs11

Has anyone converted there headlight to an LED Lamp? What's the cost?
    Bruce Doucette
    Phone #1 902 827 3217

https://www.dimecitycycles.com/motor...eadlights.html

$70 US
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Hey there Bruce,

Okay, first look at this tech tip by Crazy Steve, it's what will be necessary to convert your standard sealed beam housing/reflector into one that can accept an H4 type bulb!

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33251

Now, as for the LED bulbs, I have put one in my Special headlight. I replaced the OEM reflector with a CLEAR front lens and new reflector to be able to project as much light forward/outward vs. getting spread out by the OEM Fresnel type reflector/housing. The bulbs are only ~$25.00 on Ebay, but there are different styles. Search for CREE/COB type LEDs.

Before, I had a set for my SUV that had 4 sides and 4 large LEDS, low beam would light up 2 on two adjacent sides, and then the hi beam would light up the other remaining 2 on the other 2 sides. This provides a better horizontal cut off line to Not blind folks coming towards you.

The more recent bulb I got only has 3 sides, and so the LOW beam lights up 270 degrees worth instead of just 180 degrees, and so there's not as precise of a cutoff zone, then the high beam lights up the remaining LED for 360 degrees of light emission.

But even though the newer brighter LED bulbs shine a decent amount of light, I still like the addition of extra external LED spot type lights as well. The Cree/Cob hi power LEDS do draw a bit more amps than little LEDs for like turn signals and such. The extra SPOT lights I got from SuperbrightLEDS draw 1 full AMP each. I would suspect that the headlight bulbs would also draw 1 or possibly 2 AMPS on low and then High beam mode. But that's still 2 or more amps LESS than a standard Halogen bulb 55 watts/12V= 4.5amps.

So....using a hi power LED headlight bulb AND 2 aux LED spot lights, you still have the same current/ power draw of just 1 Halogen bulb, but you'll have 3-4 x's the light!

Here's a link to an H4 Hi Power LED bulb PAIR set. The brightness specs keep changing...they are now using WATTS(300 for the pair/150 each), they used to just use LUMENS, now saying 30,000 Lumens/Pair(15k lumens per bulb, 8K lumens per LED. The description of this bulb is a little misleading because it also quotes the 270 degrees of low beam emittence however it's only a 2 sided design, and so should really only have 180 degrees for LOW beam.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pair-30...-/132279399528

They have built in cooling fans, don't require a ballast, plug right into the OEM headlight plug, are water proof, rated for 50K hours, and are $25.00 a PAIR, so you get a spare, but it's currently on sale for only $9.99 for the next 5 hours, and free shipping!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yessir. Not as bright as you'd think. Buy auxiliary lights as well.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Thanks TC and Marty

Not often now I'm looking for XSIVES tips but perhaps it's weaker eyes ore old bulbs but night time finds me in the dark on the 1100. The Honda st 1300 on the other hand is well lit until it's on low beam then you have that low beam cut off. I will check the info you both have passed on with my thanks. I still ride the xs11 a lot and it's settled down over the years and runs well, not had the carbs out for at least 4 or 5 years.
          Gee it is hard to believe that I joined the xs11.com site 15 years ago, and TC you've been here all those years as well as many xsives who still contribute!
          Anyway, I will have better light next year ! Thanks again Guys.
          Bruce Doucette
          78xs1100
          05 Honda st 1300
          Bruce Doucette
          Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Originally posted by desert1 View Post
            Not often now I'm looking for XSIVES tips but perhaps it's weaker eyes ore old bulbs but night time finds me in the dark on the 1100. The Honda st 1300 on the other hand is well lit until it's on low beam then you have that low beam cut off. I will check the info you both have passed on with my thanks. I still ride the xs11 a lot and it's settled down over the years and runs well, not had the carbs out for at least 4 or 5 years.
            Gee it is hard to believe that I joined the xs11.com site 15 years ago, and TC you've been here all those years as well as many xsives who still contribute!
            Anyway, I will have better light next year ! Thanks again Guys.
            Bruce Doucette
            78xs1100
            05 Honda st 1300
            Yeppers, both the ST11 and ST13 will DEFINITEY spoil ya' as afar as ighting on a dark nite!
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
              Yeppers, both the ST11 and ST13 will DEFINITEY spoil ya' as afar as ighting on a dark nite!
              I do like the lighting fron my ST1300, however, the add-on auxiliary lights really help for curvy mountain roads. They light your travel line instead of the bushes.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

outa wack

as I may be, if space is a real problem there are nylock nuts that are 1/2 the thickness of the normal ones if needed for clearance. Ace strikes again !
                76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                80 XS650 G Special II
                https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                80 XS 1100 SG
                81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Working...
                X