H or V Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H or V Poll

H and V speed ratings are available from most all tire manufacturers. The claims are that an H rated tire lasts longer and a V rated tire handles better.

Which tire do you run and why?
    Last edited by MPittma100; 10-13-2017, 03:44 PM.
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

At this point, speed ratings are ignored, and comes down to price, manufacturer, and what's left to fit the 17" rear. Same applies to my other bikes.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

230 Shinko V rated, good price, handles well, good wear.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

As Ian said, i went with what I could find.
        So its 'V' for Me .........

Avons V's were great in the mountains and did a fine job. 12,000 miles on the front and almost 10,000 miles on the rear.
        Got me to Key West twice and to St Lawrence seaway on the Canadian side too. (and back) Fine in the rain too.

I'm now running the Conti Go V's. Motoman said try the Go's, so i did. I put those on last year for the Colorado Rally trip. Those are equally good, maybe a tad better all around tire, and it is looking like I will get at least 10,000 out of the Go's. Sure put them to the heat test (107 in western Oklahoma), cold test in Telluride (near freezing), and rain (severe thunderstorms / tornados in Kansas). If Go's are still available I will put them on again next tire change.

Jeff
        Last edited by JeffH; 10-13-2017, 05:48 PM.
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

I have the H Shinkos on 2 bikes and they work for me......I am not into speed and the price works for me. The bikes only get used a few months out of the year as I hate the rain
          79 SF

Comment

I believe the V rated tire has a stiffer sidewall and may perform better under certain conditions.

I'm happy with a particular H rated tire on my bike.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Ha ha ha ha ha.......Marty cops out and won't get into the tire discussion.

Well played Marty, well played.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

After carefully looking at all the options, I bought a Dunlop H rated MT90-16 Elite 3 and a 100/90-19 D404F. I decided to go with the pair because they were the only tires in the parts trailer for my XJ that were round, black, had tread and held air.

Yes, they're getting square now after the trip from N Carolina but they worked great on The Dragon when I left Stecoah and then fording the '40 for four States on the way home. I didn't notice any extra flexibility in the sidewalls but that usually only happens to me when the tire's about out of air anyway so I'm probably not pushing my tires hard enough.
                -- Scott
                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                1979 XS1100F: parts
                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                  H and V speed ratings are available from most all tire manufacturers. The claims are that an H rated tire lasts longer and a V rated tire handles better.

Which tire do you run and why?
                  I don't know where you saw those claims? I had to refresh my memory and looked up the brand I use, and reviewed that the H speed rating is only 130 mph, the V rating is 149+, this is at max load, max air pressure.

The brand(Shinko) and model Tourmaster 230's are described as longer mileage rated, and most were V rated in the sizes for the XS11. With the weight of our bikes and the loads we like to put on them, luggage, fairings, rider(s), IMHO the V rated tires provide me a better sense of security in durability/strength. No fun having a tire shred itself under load/speed especially in very hot weather/road temps that many of us experience during the summer months and southern locals.

A further review of this tire showed that all of the H rated ones were extra wide, aside from one that was extra tall=21" vs. the 15-19" range.

Granted, our machines are lucky to get to 110 mph much less getting it up to 130, so having a ceiling of 149+ could be considered overkill. Like Marty said, his H's have worked well for him, and if you're not likely to go over the double nickel speed, then they are probably just fine.

Just tried to look up my old Dunlop tires, but Dunlop's official website is under contruction. I used to use the Elite II, then changed to the Elite III, but looking at the listings on JP Cycles site, found something called the American Elite...which I'm assuming is what Dunlop is now calling the Elite III trying to get folks who want to buy AMERICAN? They were started in England, but are now owned/operated by Goodyear. Correction, that's for car tires. The motorcycle tires are made in JAPAN/Sumitomo corp. Nothing like good old Advertising gimmicks. Anyways, surprisingly, they are ONLY bias ply and only rated H. The Shinko are ARAMID belted.

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi TC,
                    Having just purchased a set of Dunlop Elite 4 for my Kawi I can tell you.
                    They are Made in the USA. Offered in both Bias & Radial. The Bias is H rated.
                    The Elite American is aimed and sized for the Harley and promoted as such on their site.
                    I was told the radial cost more and offer superior grip and less mileage.

Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                    X