Photo editing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo editing

Been trying out some different photo editing on the back of my bike to see what would look the best before I go to chopping up the rear fender, tail light and rear turn signals. What do you guys think.
    Chris 79 XS11F With mods....!!!!!! 2005 FXST Harley Softail

You asked what we think, right? I think that the image feels like there is something missing. Not enough curve in the back of the bike for my tastes. I reminds me of a dirt bike. Put some downward pull on the back and I think the lights will work.

deo
    82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
    Riding with the Son

Comment

Hey there Bikeboy,

Why bother asking us?? You're the only one you have to please! You seem to like a more modern style, and that's cool for you. You're gonna get many different opinions from many different personality types. I myself don't care for the Sport bike look, but then I'm an older classic style personality. Don't worry about what other people think, change it to fit you and be happy with that! We will admire it no matter what, we may not want that look for our bike, but we can appreciate the effort that you will be putting into it to customize it to your own tastes. Main thing, fix it and then RIDE IT!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I think it looks fine. I have a standard with a king/queen seat / sissy bar setup. Just got a special and the looks of the special are starting to grow on me. Would be nice to have the scoop and fairing setup you have. I'm not really crazy about the seat I have, though. Looks mostly like yours.

Ben
        1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
        1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
        1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
        1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
        1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
        1982 XS650
        1980 XS1100g
        1979 XS1100sf
        1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Hi Bikeboy, you still need somewhere to hang the numberplate and it'll change that look somewhat. It's got to be below those nice small indicators and out beyond the tyre. I've been fiddling with mine and after being quoted 200 bucks for a LED stop/tail - stuff that! - I put a small trailer type stop/tail on the original mudguard and bolted the numberplate below the light direct to the guard. I painted the whole guard gloss black and 'kicked it out' a few inches by drilling 2 extra pivot holes. End result is a more streamlined look.

Comment

Topcat

I wouldn't say that the sport bike look is my style, its just what I see in this bike. These bikes dont really look old enough to be a classic or vintage bike, like say an old Triumph,BSA,Indian or Royal Enfield. To me they are caughtup in the middle, not an old looking bike or vintage, but not a new style bike either. I gess if it look more like a older vintage bike I would leave it alone, make it as stock as I could. So thats why I decided to make it look more modern. But as far as being worried about what people think, I'am not worried, just wanted some different opions, and maybe some advice from others who have done some of the same type of modifcations. I know, obviously there will be people out there who dont like the more sport bike look, they may like the touring look better and thats ok, i understand that, I have owened a couple of those myself. I just felt like we have alot of different types of bike riders on this site, some of whom might like this style of bike. My thought was, what a great site to bounce around ideas with other people to see what they think. Who knows, they may use some of my ideas, and I have already used some of theirs. Hope you dont take this the wrong way Topcat ,not trying to be ugly. I have appreciated all the good advice you have giving me since I joined this site.

Comment

deo and pgg

Your right deo, after looking at it for a few days I decided that it does look like a dirt track bike. Needs more work. Trying to keep as much of the bike as possible, but it does need something more back there. Maybe after I add the small drop down under the tail light for the tag, that will help. I did'nt forget ppg, just havent gotten that far with my design yet. Wanted to make sure I like this much of it first, and also to see if you guys had anything to add. Thanks fellows.

Comment

Hey there again Bikeboy,

No slam or ill will was intended with my previous post, sorry if it came out that way! Yes, there are many great people here with plenty of input to provide. So....apologies out of the way, after looking at it again, one point that came to mind for me was safety, and the visability of the brake light assembly? Even with LED's, that's not much area to view. Haven't you ever been behind a bike with a little tail light in the day or at night, and noticed how it wasn't very visible? That's why I even put a second light set on my back rest, to try to get the cager's attention, don't want to get rear ended! So you might be able to enlarge the brake light area while you're extending the rear drop a bit. Just a thought. Good luck with whatever you are able to work out, I'm sure it will look "X"cellent!!!!

Humbly, T.C.
                T. C. Gresham

Comment

Brake light mod.........

I think your right Topcat, I will need more light in the rear. So I made the tail light larger and made it wrap around the fender more. Also I will put a clear lens under the tail light to light up the tag, that will also give me more light from the back.

Comment

I went to Image Station and was able to view it. Where are you going to get the "curved" red brake/tail light cover lens? Keep in mind, the LED's are much cheaper when you get them already in RED. But they only give off a red color, so they won't provide light for the plate, you'd be better off mounting a small extra white light to illuminate the license plate. Have you seen the brake light mod tech tip I posted a while back. It's a fairly large and bright array of RED LEDs in a sealed container, kinda deep, but you wouldn't have to make a lens for it, or you could use a clear cover lens that conforms to the fender/seat design, and have the sealed RED LED light right behind it. Just some more thoughts?
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

looks

I think it would look cool as hell.(good thing here),I've also been looking to go somewhat that route on my xj.Was thinking more like the old kz900 rear fender myself,but your idea looks sound.Only problem i have is i have a back rest on it so a shorty fender mighty look to korny. And i like the rest on lil one likes to ride with dad,so does the other half.But you can count me as an yea vote.
                      1982 XJ 1100
                      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

I Think you are definitely on the right track! I just completed a "resto-mod" on my 80 LG. She was pretty rough, but now she looks "hot". I have a question, where did you get your belly pan? I need one to finish my bike. Keep up the great work, it's the resourcefulness of the "averge" motorhead that keeps the motorcycle art alive!
                        Tracker

80 XS1100LG "Black Widow"

Comment

Air scoop

Hi there Tracker, answer to your question. I got the air scoop from Dennis Kirk Metric Bikes. ( www. denniskirk .com ) check them out, if you havent already. Lots of good stuff there.

Comment

Engine scoop

Thanks for the info. I didn't think of looking for one there. I have looked at Maier and Powerbronze, but both didn't look right. But yours is exactly what I have been looking for. I ended up replacing my entire seat/tail assembly on my bike as part of my modification. It turned out really well and get a lot of good comments. Good luck on your project and let us know how it turns out!

Tracker
                            Tracker

80 XS1100LG "Black Widow"

Comment

Working...
                            X