Timing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Question

Working on a 80 SG. Need to adjust the timing. Went to loosen the two adjusting screws (per Haynes) and couldn't.

In the pic the (alleged) adjusting screws are located inside the tube looking things at roughly 10 o'clock and 5 o'clock. (not a pic from my bike - came from the net - I can't upload right now).

Inside the tube there's no Phillips or hex head screw. Its small stud that looks like it might be hex shaped - but it's small - like 4 mm. The tubes themselves have "ears" that fit in the slots so they can't turn on their own.

How do I loosen these (per Haynes) to adjust timing, or if not what is the proper procedure to adjust it?

There are the three Phillips screws at 1 o'clock, 6 and 9 that hold down brass tabs - do I loosen these instead to adjust? I don't want to start pulling stuff apart without a plan...
    80 SG

Read this thread it kind of explains what those are http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46910 they were made to not come out but can be taken out.
    79 SF

Comment

Thanks!

That helps a lot, thanks. So, now that I know the story on the fasteners, do I need to remove/replace them to adjust the timing? Or do I loosen the three Phillips head bolts?

Thanks!

Originally posted by spectra View Post
      Read this thread it kind of explains what those are http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46910 they were made to not come out but can be taken out.
      80 SG

Comment

Yes those need to be removed to adjust but the factory setting should be good. Is there another issue somewhere else ? Is the timing off now ?
        79 SF

Comment

Yeah, if timing is a new issue, there are a host of other culprits to check first, like the vacuum advance, cams, cam chain, and cam chain tensioner.
          "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Working...
          X