Overheating Problem??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating Problem??

I have a 1980 Special and my son-in-law has been using it. The bike died on him at a light and they had to wait until it cooled off before it would start. After he got it home I tried to start it and it would not start, it did turn over OK. It did seem to be very hot. I came back to it 10 minutes later and it started right up. I was wondering what would cause this. Could a bad oil pump cause this? How could I check this? I was also thinking it could be electrical.
    Anyone have this type of problem?

Thanks.
    Bill
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Has he been stuck in traffic? If the heat from the engine builds up, it can heat up everything around it. The coils may have gotten too hot, especially if they are stock 40 year old coils. A small crack in the winding can open up to a full break when hot.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
      Has he been stuck in traffic? If the heat from the engine builds up, it can heat up everything around it. The coils may have gotten too hot, especially if they are stock 40 year old coils. A small crack in the winding can open up to a full break when hot.
      Might have been stuck in traffic for a few minutes.
      Thanks I will check the coils. They are stock.

Bill
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by BowlingSS View Post
        I have a 1980 Special and my son-in-law has been using it. The bike died on him at a light and they had to wait until it cooled off before it would start. After he got it home I tried to start it and it would not start, it did turn over OK. It did seem to be very hot. I came back to it 10 minutes later and it started right up. I was wondering what would cause this. Could a bad oil pump cause this? How could I check this? I was also thinking it could be electrical.
        Anyone have this type of problem?

Thanks.
        Bill
        Maybe vapor-locked due to a plugged gas tank cap?
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
          A big +1 if they are the original coils!
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

If I stop any of my XS bikes, there seems to be a window of time maybe 3-10 minutes after I stop where the fuel mixture seems wrong and they are hard to start. They will start, but more likely with the throttle halfway open.

I have seen this topic discussed before.
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Working...
            X