Fuel Cap Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
    Past experience in using the wrong part allows me to tell you that it will not work. Why take the chance when the correct part is available? It will leak, but has nothing to do with cap venting. The vent is another part of the cap.
    Understandable; I agree that if I put the OEM part on, I probably wouldn't have to worry/mess with it again for at least 20-30 years. On the other hand, I'm the type of person who likes to "mess" with things and come up with creative solutions on my own. So, I'm comfortable with going through the trial and error process, and living with the consequences of it failing if I miss-read the situation. I also understand that not everyone is comfortable with that; to each their own!

Also, there may come a time when the OEM part isn't available anymore and I think it would be nice to have an alternative when that happens. It's a bonus if the replacement part only costs $0.07 (I know the cost in-hand is more due to shipping and min. qty.).

Thanks, I hadn't seen those posts yet. I can tell by the pictures (and one comment), that gasket seals at the outer edges of the filler neck. I wouldn't be comfortable with that; the gasket is basically stretching to fit on the outer edges. I can see two issues with this:
    1. premature failure due to slight loss of elasticity in gasket material
    2. it could allow gas and fumes to get under the paint around the filler neck easier than with a stock gasket or an o-ring
    80 SG Canada

Comment

Working...
    X