Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank coating revisited

Hi Everyone.

This is what I wrote in a thread a few years ago concerning Caswell Plating Epoxy tank coating:
    ________
    Tank coating is like motor oil...everyone has a different opinion. That's what is great about America! So all I can testify to is my experiences.

Most failures are from suspect preparation. Having said that, I have had great performance with the two-part Epoxy kit from Caswell Plating. It has been in my tank for several years and is still performing perfectly. Simply follow the directions except for two things: 1 - substitute a pound of drywall screws for the nuts and bolts to rattle around in the tank (they do a better job) and 2 - use the whole kit (they say the kit will do two tanks).

Take your time and do not rush the process and plan on spending about a half an hour SLOWLY rotating your tank to make sure every little crack and cranny is covered.

Now, just recently I decided to go for a ride and my petcocks were leaking badly so I removed them for maintenance and was astounded by their condition inside the tank. I have had the Caswell Plating Epoxy in my tank since before Hurricane Katrina here in New Orleans and that is over 12 years. When I removed the petcocks the filter screens were pristine, just like when I installed them. There was absolutely no debris or deterioration in the coating after all this time. Sadly, with the trouble posting pictures I cannot show you but seriously, the screens looked like brand new.

Thanks
    Mike
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

I have used Caswells a few times. I can say that pea gravel for scouring on my first attempt was an awful idea! Then I used nuts and small bolts. Very difficult to get them all out. I used plant basket chain on the third attempt. This was the best for removal, but it does catch on the overfill tube. Also, make sure that you use a rinsing liquid that does not leave residue, or the Caswells will not stick. If you have a previous coating (like that latex-looking disaster product), you need to get rid of that 100%. You can flip the float assembly around and use that (at least on a standard to cover that hole. Make your own covers for the petcock holes. I cut bicycle tube for gaskets. Use a rubber expansion plug for the fill hole (or somehow protect the cap). A lot of the products can eat the paint, so use something mundane unless you need to attack a previous coating. After I did all of mine (only one had a previous coating) I saw the electrolysis method of removing rust. I would try that if I ever wanted to do another tank without needing to remove previous liner of that latex stuff. PS, Caswells instructions said that rust can actually help adhesion, but I don't trust the flakey nature of rust, and rust begats more rust!
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
    03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Working...
    X