Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lubricating mechanical advance, how to remove timing plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubricating mechanical advance, how to remove timing plate?

I have owned my bike for 15 years and have never lubricated the mechanical advance. I figure its time. The manual says I need to remove the two screws holding the plate on. On my bike (1980 special), these two screws are recessed into some sort of retainer, and the heads don't look like anything removable.

There is a closeup of one of the "screws". None of my metric sockets hold it tight. It looks slightly marred up already but I have not even attempted to turn it.

To me, it looks like this screw had its head melted in from the factory. My bike is running great right now and the last thing I want to do is park it because I was an idiot while doing some elective maintenance. Any suggestions on what I am dealing with here?

Here is a big picture of the whole area.
    '80 XS Special
    JonathanKnez@hotmail.com

Drill off the heads and replace them.

Originally posted by nezzer View Post
    the heads don't look like anything removable.
    SNIP To me, it looks like this screw had its head melted in from the factory.
    Neezer,
    The bolts are special items installed at the factory. When installed, the heads snapped off once proper torque was reached. This is some sort of emissions thing to keep your bike at the factory setting.

It's easy to remove the bolts. Punch the center of that little remaining nub and drill the "head" off of them. Then, once the pick-up plate is removed you can easily grab the remaining shafts of what remains of the bolts with something like a small vise grip and easily back them out. After you lube the advance mechanism just install some metric socket head cap screws.

Mark the location of the pick-up plate and the pointer so they can both be put back exactly where they were.

NOTE: someone has repaired the pick-up wires on that bike.

KURT
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Easy way to lube assembly......use the plastic straw on a spray can of lube and squirt some between the housing and where plate rotates.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

One more thing

One more thing. When you take the mechanical advance mechanism off the end of the crank, if you disassemble it make sure you install the reluctor exactly the same way and not 180 degrees out.
        Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Thanks guys. That helps.
          '80 XS Special
          JonathanKnez@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
          X