Plug wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plug wires

I'm thinking about using 8mm high energy wires on the battle ship. I've heard that in doing so it will eat plugs but I change plugs at the beginning of every season. Any thoughts?
    79 XS11 F

You must have aftermarket coils...
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
    03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

No, found a thread

No they're factory coils, I found a section on how to change the wires. It's a bit involved but nothing extremely hard. Don't like the idea of copper plug wires. On a budget and want to get as much out of what I got as I can.
      79 XS11 F

Comment

Hey Ranger,

If those 8 mm High Energy wires aren't copper cored/stranded, then you may want to look at something else. The wires for our OEM coils are copper stranded core, not that automotive impregnated stuff with thousands of OHMS per foot! The OEM setup was Resistor caps and non-resistor plugs. Nowadays folks are finding it easier to have resistor plugs, and so you don't even need the resistor caps. The OEM COILS put out just minimal KV power, like 15Kv, just enough to make sparks, but if you have too many Kohm resistor components it can cut down on final spark energy delivered.

Another cheaper alternative with regards to Newish used coils are from Honda VF-1000 or such. They will be 3 ohm, so if your bike(didn't check before replying) is 78-80, you'll need to remove a bypass the ballast resistor. But these will give you more spark energy and an easier plug wire changing ability.

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

+1 on the Honda VFR coils! That's what I've had on my Venturer for the past several yrs. Perfect match bolt on replacement using the OEM coil retainer bolts/nuts. Nice part is one gets to make up their own plug wires of choice/color.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

If you feel the need for big gauge wires try the ACCEL 8.8mm stranded wires. Have had them on for many years and they keep coming back for more. Plus, they add a nice yellow splash of color to the top of your motor. If you look at the 2nd bike from the right, above the blue machine, at the top of this page you will see what I mean.
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Yeah, stick with copper solid core wires. The carbon core wires can't take all the flopping around that the wires on here do since they just hang free. The core will break and you will the have a lack of spark.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
              X