Clutch slipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch slipping

I've got an 82 XJ1100 that I just finnished the second and first gear repairs on. (thanks to everyone for all the great info, wouldn't have even thought about doing it before!!!) While the engine was apart, I installed new clutch fiber plates and new springs, I've adjusted the clutch several times but it still seems to slip once I get up at 6000 rpm or higher. Any sugestions?
    Todd

did you do both clutch adjustments?

could be the cable too.

Comment

Synthetic oil can cause slippage too.....
      Ken Talbot

Comment

82 XJ 1100 clutch

I used regular 15/40 oil and there is a small amount of slack in the clutch cable when the lever is let off. I set the clutch according to my manual by tighting the screw and then backing it off a quarter turn. Would a thinner gasket cause problems? or would that be corrected by resetting the clutch? I am also having problems with the cam cover rubbing and I thought the gasket set I got was alot thinner.
        Todd

Comment

clutch

Dude the clutch was most likley slipping before and glazed the metal plates you might wanna use some real fine emery paper and deglaze them, most times that will cure your trouble. Also a slightly binding clutch cable will give you the same symtoms unhook both end and work it back and forth it should move freely Good luck ........................MITCH
          Last edited by mitch; 06-21-2004, 02:21 PM.
          Doug Mitchell
          82 XJ1100 sold
          2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
          2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
          1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
          47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Hey there TGoodall,

Like Mitch said, check that cable for FREE movement. Several folks have reported clutch slippage, and it was due to a sticky cable not releasing properly, even though they had the adjustment set right, the cable still kept some tension against the lever which pushed slightly against the throwout bearing causing it to slip.

Also, sorry that you might need to go back in, but it is recommended to sand/emory clotch the steels whenever you replace the friction plates to remove old glazing/tarnish from them. If you didn't do that, then that may be the other step you need. Good luck.
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Clutch slipping

Hey thanks for the help guys, I'll try both those ideas this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out. It's great to see the web site back up. What the heck happened?
              Todd

Comment

Working...
              X