Choke won't stay open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choke won't stay open

My bike is running fantastically, but if I want to use the choke on cold start up I have to hold it out, or it closes. It feels completely smooth in and out, with no hint of a click. My other bike has 2 choke settings where it very obviously clicks at. Any ideas what's wrong? I figure I'll have to take the carbs off one final time, just want to know how I should attack it.
    1980 XS1100G. Work in progress.
    1980 XS1100G. 2nd work in progress.

On the enrichiner rod there is two detents that spring loaded small ball bearings, that reside in a hole in the carbs (not sure which carb bodies), rests in to hold the rod at half and full choke.

Your spring or springs along with the balls may be broke, corroded or missing altogether.
    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Look on carbs 1 and 4 where the enricher rod slides thru the body and you will see a small hole. The spring and ball bearing is under there, or should be. The rod needs to be completely removed to service them.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The balls are 1/8", and can be purchased at ACE Hardware, BTDT to repair one set of carbs. with luck, the springs are there, just the detent ball is missing. You CAN get by with just one detent, so as long as you have one spring you should be good.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I was on a mission, I have both the balls and springs as spares, let me know if you need one or the other or both.
          Glad to help, Don'e
          76 XS650 C ROADSTER
          80 XS650 G Special II
          https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
          80 XS 1100 SG
          81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
          https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
          AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Thank you for all the replies. I don't understand how they could go missing? I have only cleaned the carbs as a bank, and didn't take the choke rod out. Could I remove it without taking the carbs off the bike?
            1980 XS1100G. Work in progress.
            1980 XS1100G. 2nd work in progress.

Comment

They could go missing because the guy before you took them apart and the spring and ball went flying across the garage and he couldn't find them so said "Oh well". And yes take the carbs off the bike to check/clean/replace rod/spring/ball. Be careful when you are pulling the rod out so the spring and ball don't go flying across the garage, spring under tension.
              79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
              79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Originally posted by ThrottleJunky View Post
                Thank you for all the replies. I don't understand how they could go missing? I have only cleaned the carbs as a bank, and didn't take the choke rod out. Could I remove it without taking the carbs off the bike?
                What little bit of crud could have gone into the tunnel that the spring and ball are in, they could simply be jammed by something ?

Do you know that the rod was working before cleaning ?

Also if someone lost one of the springs or balls the one that's left will still hold the rod in position, then all it would take is for the remaining one to get jammed.
                76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                80 XS650 G Special II
                https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                80 XS 1100 SG
                81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Working...
                X