Favorite Pingel Petcock for a Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Pingel Petcock for a Special

My '79 SF is coming along on the rehabilitation, I've got all the parts now to rebuild the front brakes, SS lines arrived today.

After much reading and research on here, I've decided to eliminate the Octy in the interest of reliability.

Both failure modes are not attractive, and although I am old, I can still remember to turn off a petcock. Plus I just can't bear the thought of 17 hose clamps waiting to leak.

I'm probably going with Pingel petcocks unless someone has a better, less expensive, recommendation.

They have the SF 34MM adapter plate to 3/8 NPT that most of their petcocks use.

Any one have a recommendation on what model Pingle works well with the SF teardrop tank?

I've seen the tech tip on in-line filters and want to install them too.

Any other advice on replacing the petcocks and eliminating the Octy?

I know I need a plug for the #2 carb vac port.

Thanks for any help,

Sorb
    79 SF

Hey Sorb,

I got some petcocks off of eBay, made my own adapter plates. I had to drill out/widen the opening in the tank a little to accommodate the petcock filter screen/tower. Also cut my own rubber gaskets out of large NEOPRENE washers. Still used that special fuel resistant sealant,(Seal All). Used neoprene O-ring on the mounting screws vs. fiber washers...YMMV. I think Mikes.net has adapter plates, or was it Partsnmore.com, along with generic petcocks.

Most of the petcocks will have the ability to change/position the output nipples forward or rearward, maybe even downward which can help position them away from the carb tops. Also suggested to run the right petcock to the left pair of carbs, and vice versa, allows you to lift the tank more for easier access to connect/disconnect lines, also room for the inline filters going across the intake tubes before going downward to the fuel inlet T's between the carbs at the bottom of the carb body.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Only thing about Pingels is they are so damned expensive! Many years ago I put on a pair of Alfa high flow petcocks (not sure if they are still made) and I think they were about $19.00 each. 3/8" threaded that will fit your adaptors. Now just recently I took them off to rebuild them with gaskets I got from J&P Cycles for $3.95 each and they are ready to go again for several years.

Even cheaper replacement petcocks will flow way more fuel than the motor will take at WOT so if you can find something that works, save yourself a few $ IHMO
      Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
      X