How to know when . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to know when . . .

My 11F is running well, no big problems.

However, how do you know when to ....

- adjust the valves?

- syncs the carbs?

More info... it now has 1500 miles (original). It has moderate vibration in the bars and pegs in the 2500 - 3000 rpm range. Makes best power starting at 5000 rpm. No backfires or popping.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Art
    79 F

Have you checked the valves yet? If not I would say check them. I found out no need to adjust if they are in spec.

As for syncing the carbs do you have a way to do it ?
    79 SF

Comment

Feel the vibe

The vibration is a trademark of these engines.

I'll pass on some info I was told by a long time Eleven owner, mechanic and shop owner where I had my "G" inspected in '92 right after changing the title from the previous owner, which also used his services.

When I asked him to synch the carbs along with a valve adjustment, cause the Clymers manual said it was time to, He informed me, with only 11,800 mi. on the clock, the engine wasn't even broke in yet.

Looking over his well used '79F, as he was installing a new rear tire on mine, he informed me he had over 300,000 mi. on Elevens, right then I knew my hard earned money was indeed well spent.

IMHO, based upon your info, I wouldn't touch the engine except for lubrication and filters.
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Padre4art View Post
        My 11F is running well, no big problems.
        However, how do you know when to ....
        - adjust the valves?
        - syncs the carbs?
        More info... it now has 1500 miles (original). It has moderate vibration in the bars and pegs in the 2500 - 3000 rpm range. Makes best power starting at 5000 rpm. No backfires or popping.
        Thoughts?
        Thanks!
        Art
        ART, Tuning is an art, do the best you can do, adjust the pilot mixture screws in until the engine seems to miss, one at a time then turn them out until the engine seems the gurgle then turn the screws in just until the engine smooths in it's rpm. do all the mixture screws until you have it running as smooth as you can get it. Wait, did you sync the carbs ?
        Sync the carbs with a gauge then check the idle mixture for the smoothest running and then do the idle/pilot mix screws. To get as smooth as possible double check every thing again. At least you will know you have it (the carbs) as close to perfect as you can get.
        With so few miles I would think it's too soon to do the valves, can't hurt to check though !
        Last edited by donebysunday; 09-08-2017, 02:55 AM. Reason: add
        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
        80 XS650 G Special II
        https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
        80 XS 1100 SG
        81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
        https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
        AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Working...
        X