Final Drive Imminent Failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Drive Imminent Failure?

My final drive seems to dirty it's oil very fast. Since I bought the bike, and put just over 2000 miles on it, I've changed the final drive oil 3 times. Once
    right after buying it, once when replacing the main rear seal on it, and once today.

Today, and last time (and maybe the first, but I don't recall), the oil is very dark, and the magnet on the drain plug is covered in a fine metal paste.

The oil in the transmission looks brand new compared to what came out of the final drive. And I did the transmission once, ~2000 miles ago when I bought the bike.
    This seems like a real bad sign to me. This is not normal.. right?

Unfortunately I only took a picture of some residue left in the glass I drained the fluid into. But this is just a small portion of the dark (metal?) stuff I'm seeing.

Has anyone seen this before? Is this a potential safety risk? Is there something I need to check/align/etc.?
    I'm not extremely familiar with these bikes, so there may be other signs of issues that would be obvious to an expert that I'm unaware of.
    I'm using an 80w-90 GL5 gear oil. Just some store brand cheap stuff.

Thanks for any help,
    Scott
    80 LG

Put about 3 ounces of Berryman's B12 Chemtool into the final drive along with your cheap oil. Ride for about 20 minutes, go home and change the oil again. This time, use SYNTHETIC 75-140 gear oil. I use Redline, but any synthetic is good. You should not have much problems after the change, unless there is already something that has "let go". If that is the case, just shop around ebay for an 850 final drive.
    To me, it looks like gunk from not being changed in a LONG time, and a cleaning with fresh synthetic oil should do the trick.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Final drives are cheap on ebay. Get another one.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
        If that is the case, just shop around ebay for an 850 final drive.
        Hey Ray,

Unless he's planning on doing the Triple Final Drive MOD, the 850 isn't a simple bolt on. Shouldn't he be looking for an XS1100 FD!?

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
        X