I May Be Back! Considering An '82 XJ1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I May Be Back! Considering An '82 XJ1100

I briefly owned a basket case '79 XS1100 SE that I parted out last year so I haven't been on this forum much since. However, I'm considering purchasing an '82 XJ1100 Maxim just for something different from my V-twin cruiser. Is there anything specific I should look out for when I go to inspect the bike? I almost like the looks of these better than the XS models and I don't think it's as heavy.
    79 SF

Originally posted by Polkahero View Post
    I briefly owned a basket case '79 XS1100 SE that I parted out last year so I haven't been on this forum much since. However, I'm considering purchasing an '82 XJ1100 Maxim just for something different from my V-twin cruiser. Is there anything specific I should look out for when I go to inspect the bike? I almost like the looks of these better than the XS models and I don't think it's as heavy.
    Take off the seat and look at the battery and associated wiring.

Take off the right side cover and look at the fuse box and associated wiring. The original glass fuse holders will crumble just removing a fuse.

Check the date codes on the brake lines. The OEM lines are black rubber and will have a 1981 or 1982 date code. The OEM lines should be replaced at 5 years of age.

Check the date code on the tires. Tires more than 5 years old should be replaced.

The master interlock relay is under the tank. If it fails, (mine did) the bike will not run. Be prepared to bypass this relay along the side of the road. It will save you a towing experience.

Swivel the handlebars back and forth looking for a detent in the steering bearings.

Check the brakes for being locked up.

Have the bike started for you while cold. They behave better warm and its a trick to warm up the bike before you show up to look at it.
    82 XJ1100 - sold
    96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
    2000 ZRX1100 - sold
    2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

Bought it, I'm back in the club! Thanks for the tips, HalfCentury. Seller replaced the fuse box already and got at least the rear caliper working. He disabled the linked system which should be easy enough to get back together but it doesn't have any front brakes at the moment. Haven't inspected the MC and/or calipers to see what's going on yet. Yep, original brake lines which is typical of these.

Tires are over 10 years old, cracks on sidewall so will have to be replaced. Bike starts well from cold, great compression in all cylinders, and the charging system is reading over 14 volts at higher RPM's. It does have a minor oil leak coming from the right valve cover, probably will have to replace the gasket. Need to check valve clearances anyway, are these tappets like a Virago?

Bonus: I also got a parts bike that is mostly all there!
      79 SF

Comment

Working...
      X