No announcement yet.

vacuum advance chattering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in that case i'm at a loss here then. all i know is that the bike is not pleasant to ride the way it kicks and bucks at part throttle. it's tons of fun at full throttle but sometimes a man just wants to cruise.
    81 XS1100 Hardtailed, Bobbed
    81 XS650 Hardtailed "Skinny Chop"

Comment

just as another thought , what rpm are we talking about ,mine never happy to be below 3000 and was most happy between 4500 and 5000 and scary at 7500
      , mine was tuned well
      Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
      Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
      and SOXS
      2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

The XS in a well tuned condition is happy from 1,500 to 8,500RPM. Stumbling and popping at part throttle is probably pickup coil wires, but could also be carbs.
        Try riding with a friend who has an ir temp gun. Put up with the bucking for about 2 minutes, pull in the clutch and kill the engine, then stop and have him look at the pipes at the head. You should be able to see one or two pipes with lower readings. 1&4 or 2&3 is pickup coils or coils. Anything else is probably carbs. Dig in once you know what direction to go.

Ray, I edited this, you had 1-3 and 2-4, I'm sure it was just a brain fart! T.C.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

i have checked, checked, and checked again for the pickup wire issue and i can't seem to find anything there. not with the hourglass method, and pulling the wires in any direction does not make the motor change while running. i'm at such a loss here i've considered just replacing all the pickup wires to see what happens. i think i will start there. it's a lot cheaper than buying new coils to "see what happens"
          81 XS1100 Hardtailed, Bobbed
          81 XS650 Hardtailed "Skinny Chop"

Comment

Originally posted by hyperballsmcgee View Post
            so getting no resistance on primary wires and erratic open resistance in plug wires indicates that BOTH coils are bad? seems odd that they'd both be out
            You should get 15 ohms on the leads to the spark plugs even if the coil is off the bike. Erratic open when taken at the same conditions might be due to the meter leads making intermittent contact.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
            X