Rear Brake Pedal with MAC exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Brake Pedal with MAC exhaust

So When I got my bike, it had aftermarket exhaust on it, and a brake pedal that wouldn't clear it. I've been riding with the pedal put (very sketchy like) on the edge of the sprocket and tightened down so it scrapes past the exhaust (makes me wince every time I use my brakes!). My question, is there a brake pedal that will fit a 79 standard that will clear the mac system? It seems to need to be pushed out about an inch. maybe even just a sprocket extension? I'm not sure what to do here. I tried bending a brake pedal to fit (one off of a honda that matched the xs pedal) and it didn't seem to want to bend far enough in the right place to clear the exhaust.
    1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

It will bend far enough but make sure you have the pipes adjusted right and tight back against the bike frame. You may need to do a little tweaking on the header pipes to make it work out. The Mac flare tips seem to not fit as well as the Megaphones.
    To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
    1980 G Silverbird
    Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
    1198 Overbore kit
    Grizzly 660 ACCT
    Barnett Clutch Springs
    R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
    122.5 Main Jets
    ACCT Mod
    Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
    Antivibe Bar ends
    Rear trunk add-on
    http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

There is a 1/2" difference in the distance the splined shaft for the pedal extends on my 79F and 80 SG. The SG being the longer of the two at appx 1 1/2".
      1980 xs1100SG "Silent Killer"
      1948 HD FL "Thin Mint"
      1978 FLH 80 "Grumpy"
      1960 HD FLH Duo "Blue" (w/family in Sacramento)
      1986 Honda CMX 450 (51hp rat sleeper) SOLD

Comment

My pedal works fine as well and I've had 3 or 4 different MAC systems on there. When I first got the MAC 4 into 2 (of which all the hedders are the same) I was told I needed to put a Virago pedal on there so I ordered one off fleabay. Never used it, it's still in the box it came in.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Ok so what im seeing is try to bend it a bit further to clear. If that doesnt work, ill check the measurements of the sg spline vs mine and see if its worth a swap. If all else fails a virago pedal may work.

I have the flare tips btw
          1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Comment

You should try loosening up the pipes and tucking them closer to the frame first.

I would send a pic of mine but photobucket took a crap on us and I haven't set anything else up.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by sethhope View Post
              Ok so what im seeing is try to bend it a bit further to clear. If that doesnt work, ill check the measurements of the sg spline vs mine and see if its worth a swap. If all else fails a virago pedal may work.

I have the flare tips btw
              Just saying I recently was installing a Mac 4-2 from an SG onto an F that fit the SG like a glove. Started with the right side and before I got far it was obvious the pedal was a tight squeeze. Did a comparison of the actuators and found a 1/2" difference. I didn't try swapping but it seems it would give more room.
              Last edited by Barbarosa; 08-28-2017, 06:17 AM.
              1980 xs1100SG "Silent Killer"
              1948 HD FL "Thin Mint"
              1978 FLH 80 "Grumpy"
              1960 HD FLH Duo "Blue" (w/family in Sacramento)
              1986 Honda CMX 450 (51hp rat sleeper) SOLD

Comment

Working...
              X