My first XS ide experience after a LONG XS drought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first XS ide experience after a LONG XS drought

I can't believe it but I have been here 6 years now since I started back to riding in 2011. My first bike back after a 10 year hiatus was an 80" XS11 Special (it's still my in my profile pic). Owned it for a couple of years (ish) and then moved on to many other bikes. The riding position was not agreeable at that time.

Two + years ago we bought my current 79' XS11 Standard. This was to be a college graduation present for our son who SHOULD have graduated in spring/summer 2016. Long story he dropped out of school and lets just say he's NOT getting a bike or anything else from his mother or myself until he makes some changes. Anyways bike went on the very far back burner when his schooling ended at the end of 2015. This is too much information I am sure.

Anyway bought the bike laying down in a muddy mess on the side of a house. I think it's in the 27,xxx mile range (can't remember). I have rebuilt the carbs, cleaned the brake M/C's and calipers, rewired 3 out of 4 coil pickup wires, changed out one bad coil and done the one petcock setup. Also has new battery.

Tonight was the first trip around the neighborhood with the "new" bike. Wow, the azz end rise is something I forgot about! My bigger bike daily ride is an 80' Suzuki GS850G (also a shafty like the XS) but it has NONE of the rise of this XS. First impression is I need to change the handlebars (these are bent badly) and adjust upward. Shifting was not smooth into 2nd gear but I have done no clutch adjustments and have not changed drive fluids yet so I am still hopeful (no popping out of gear though). I memory is jogged of the power... very smooth and powerful! Still smoking some. I fogged the motor when I bought the bike initially and the bike all told probably hasn't run for 6-7 years so I'll not panic yet about the ring condition, sometimes it can take a bit to get used to being run again. Next up is valves, carb sync, put the fairing back on (which is somewhat broken, cracked) and change out the tires (I have another set in waiting). Not sure it all gets done yet this year or not.

Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
    1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
    1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

One of my bikes sat for 22 years without running. The brakes were completely locked up, the clutches stuck together, the carbs varnished to heck and other stuff. It arose from its slumber without too much commotion. It then sat for another 6 years, and I just got it running again this past week. Other than a little stumble, it's raring to go. These engines are awesome.
    1980 XS1100G. Work in progress.
    1980 XS1100G. 2nd work in progress.

Comment

Congratulations on getting it going.

The rise in the back is because the springs are weak and the shocks are probably shot. The front end might be sacked as well. Fix that and all you feel is go!

You're just getting started.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Working...
      X