My Petcock Solution -- XS11 Standard -- Pic (s) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Petcock Solution -- XS11 Standard -- Pic (s) Thread

Here is a pictorial of my petcock solution, going with just one (left side). Aftermarket, non-vacuum model ($40 on Ebay) and a dummy on the right side. Here is how it looks and what I did to dummy up the right side.

Basically I tapped the two holes in the petcock body (one is slightly smaller than the other) both with a 5/16" and tried to go just as deep as needed to get the 5/16" set screws about flush. I then J-B Welded (steel version) the set screws into place. Used a an old petcock gasket ( because I had it on hand) but siliconed lightly the gasket surface and flipped it over so it might mate up better. Probably could have got by with yellow gas tape but like the JB better and years ago when I did the "crazy steve" Special Petcock mod it worked for me so repeated it.

After I consulted with you XS guys the good advise was that one petcock COULD run both sides so instead of using a T in the line this petcock came with two angled outlets and you can see how I run it. I don't mind running a non-vac petcock but one MUST be aware to shut it down when your not running the bike. I ride only vintage stuff and some of my bikes have vac petcocks and some don't. Remembering which is which is the key haha. I ran this bike tonight for the first time since I owned it on the street and my setup seems to work! Hope this helps. Comments?
    Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
    1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
    1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

A nice compliment to the single petcock mod is an electric fuel shutoff valve, It will cut the fuel after the tap so no accidental flooding. There is a stand alone vacuum valve that will do the same thing, costs a bit more though. Glad you got your bike running again.

http://www.dan-marc.com/rv-parts-12-...ff-valves.html
    Last edited by bikerphil; 08-17-2017, 10:07 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I like it. It has two nipples. Why?
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
        It came with the block off, the straight nipple and the two 90 nipples
        Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
        1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
        1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
          What you got against two nipples???
          81 XS11

Comment

Absolutely nothing, unless they are accompanied with a nubbin.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hi so have you have reduced your usable fuel by having this setup or not my thought is the tank is an upside down U that straddles the frame once you get below the lump in the middle it will only draw from one side ??
              next for your bikes with NO vacuum shut off have red key fobs the others another colour would that work for you ?
              Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
              Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
              and SOXS
              2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Originally posted by hamjam View Post
                Hi so have you have reduced your usable fuel by having this setup or not my thought is the tank is an upside down U that straddles the frame once you get below the lump in the middle it will only draw from one side ??
                next for your bikes with NO vacuum shut off have red key fobs the others another colour would that work for you ?
                I'm curious as well, mine seems to take fuel from one side or the other... unless you're running a 70s tank and they work differently?????
                1980 SH - 100% custom wired Road warrior with motogadget everything.
                Looks like a scrap heap, runs like a dream.
                Master of the wires.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNeverCat View Post
                  I'm curious as well, mine seems to take fuel from one side or the other... unless you're running a 70s tank and they work differently?????
                  how are they different??
                  Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                  Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

and SOXS
                  2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

To the best of my knowledge the 70s had a slightly larger capacity, fill port was recessed and has a more bread box shape. I'm just curious if the insides are different.
                    Because that's what I don't know.

I want a 70s tank for my 80 because I just think it looks better.
                    1980 SH - 100% custom wired Road warrior with motogadget everything.
                    Looks like a scrap heap, runs like a dream.
                    Master of the wires.

Comment

that sounds like a standard tank compared to a Special tank 2 different beasts but they both drain the same way
                      your sig says SH so that is a special have a search for a special to standard tank swap
                      Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                      Niimi Moozhwaagan

and SOXS
                      2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Working...
                      X