Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of fan are you running to tune your bike while stationary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of fan are you running to tune your bike while stationary?

Curious about this, as right now I can only idle for brief periods, then shut them down to prevent any overheating.
    1980 XS1100G. Work in progress.
    1980 XS1100G. 2nd work in progress.

Box fan seems to be a popular choice among us.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Box man. Fits perfectly between the wheel and headers.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I use a furnace squirrel cage fan because that's what I have. I set it in front of the front tire on a chair. Use what you have.
        79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
        79 SF parts bike.

Comment

I used to use a box fan, but it crapped out and I was never happy with the amount of air it moved. Now I have a large shop vac and I strap the vac head onto the front fender and aim it at the motor. Huge volume of air and it is moving fats which allows for much longer running periods. One must be sure to place it far enough back or you can end up with the two center cylinders staying cooler than the outers as it is such a hard flowing unit. But anything is better than nothing and even temps make for better settings.
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Pretty tough to tune one while riding it.

You usually end up a tad lean tuning in the garage but you have to ride it to get it fine tuned. And I don't mean around the block.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
              Pretty tough to tune one while riding it.

You usually end up a tad lean tuning in the garage but you have to ride it to get it fine tuned. And I don't mean around the block.
              Absolutely it takes a few runs whether at highway speeds or around the block to check everything. One wants to ride with performance and mileage one has to invest time into tuning.
              I honestly get 48 MPG (US) at 70 MPH all day long. It takes time to set everything but the performance is same as stock. I was dissapointed when it was new and could not do 50 MPG.
              2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                Absolutely it takes a few runs whether at highway speeds or around the block to check everything. One wants to ride with performance and mileage one has to invest time into tuning.
                I honestly get 48 MPG (US) at 70 MPH all day long. It takes time to set everything but the performance is same as stock. I was dissapointed when it was new and could not do 50 MPG.
                I'm really picky with how my bikes run. The smallest hesitation or stumble bugs the heck out of me. I have an ideal situation insofar as testing them as I live rural. The main road is 45, with slower arterials, and little traffic.
                1980 XS1100G. Work in progress.
                1980 XS1100G. 2nd work in progress.

Comment

I would have to see that to believe it Doug. I've gotten over 40 before but that was running 60 - 65 mph on flat Iowa ground.

I usually run 75 - 85 MPH on the highway and depending on the terrain get 25 - 35 MPG.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I have to ask tongue-in-cheek how much of a headwind and what is the downhill grade? . Are you running a fairing?

The gas mileage from my 80 SG gets in the company of other XS11 riders at the rallies exceeds what anyone else is getting. That is running a very well tuned bike, one size smaller mains and running at high elevations with less wind resistance. 39 mpg is the what it would do for an overall average, with 43-45 mpg at rally's here in Colorado (2011 Durango and 2014 Colorado Canon City Rally) with the FD mod and ACCT mod.

I'll buy you a six pack of your favorite beer with that gas mileage (48 mpg) being witnessed by a fellow XS1100 rider over the average of several tanks at a GPS 70 mph.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I have repeatedly run this number. It is by the odometer though, so no GPS verification.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Hey guys, remember, he is NORTH of us, and probably STILL has REAL gas! In '78 i could do about 225 per tank before reserve, even at 70MPH. now it was about 140 to 160 when I was riding the '79 two years ago. Junk "gas" in California, and the rest of these United States.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                        X