torsion spring # 27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

come together

and send me all the parts that could be causing the problem. I will buy the lot and pay shipping or buy what I need and send money and the rest of the parts back. I just don't want the bike sitting in pieces like when I did that trans fix way back when.
    Anyone up for it ?
    May be a while as the script I got from my doc involves muscle relaxers and pain killers, it makes me feel real farm out man I walked the dog earlier and could feel this stuff starting to work. My dog is 17 years old in Oct. and I think she is going south as of this walk today, she can't seem to relax. She is up right now watching me, normally she fast asleep at this time of night.

When it rains ,,,,,,,,
    Thank You All, yous guys are the bestest

Just in case Don Sundby 1216 S. 118th St. Milwaukee, Wi. 53214 phone# 414-333-3899
    Last edited by donebysunday; 08-14-2017, 10:13 PM.
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Don, how's your dog? You can fix an old bike but old dogs... not so much.

I found an image from a German PDF of the '79 Special parts fiche that was rescued before Yamaha removed the online fiche so I don't have to link to Partzilla. The numbering is slightly different from your '81LH but the parts are the same.

Before you get 'new' parts, is the shift pedal itself loose and doesn't return or is there a bunch of slop when you try to shift but the pedal returns to center?

In a nutshell, you can put the shift shaft and return spring in an empty case half with no transmission or shift drum in it and the shift pedal/shaft won't care, the return spring holds the shifter in place and returns it to the center position if you move the shaft. If the shift pedal itself is loose, the only suspects are the #2 special adjuster screw and #3 nut, the #6 return spring. It's really unlikely but the #11 bolt could have come out of the case or broken off, the #1 shifter assembly could be broken. The adjuster screw and nut are the most likely problem.

The adjuster screw is a 'stop' that gets worked as you ride and shift. If it fell out, pick the parts up out of the bottom of the shifter cover (or fish them out of the oil pan with a magnet ) and put 'em back in the #1 shift shaft assembly.

It was a nice try that didn't really work but Yamaha added the #4 locking washer to try to keep the nut and adjuster screw tight. The lock washer can lock the nut with no problem but not the adjuster screw, it can work loose as you shift and ride the bike until it plops out.

-- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Hey Don,

Sorry to hear about your dog! Now as to your back, if you're just needing muscle relaxers and pain meds, then it sounds like you just did a major muscle strain/tear vs. doing any damage to your spine/joints....like herniating a disc! Yep, did you twist when you were lifting/ placing the tool box?? If so, then it's mostly some torn muslces.

When I was in the USN in CA, was on ER duty, had a recruit in training fall out during a PFT or such, and we had to go get him, pick him up and take him to the ER in the ambulance. He was 300+ lbs, and there was only 2 of us. We got him on the stretcher/guerney, this was many decades ago before they had those fancy units with expandable frames that allow you to raise it to waist level, then roll it to the ambulance and then have it fold up while pushing it into the cab. We had to dead lift it and I remember being surprised that I was able to lift it with the other medic. But then we had to TWIST to push it into the cab, and that's when my back muscle ripped!!!

For the first few days I just laid in bed only to get up to reheat a wet towel in plastic bag in a microwave to be able to apply fresh moist heat to my back, along with taking the muscle relaxers. IT takes about 2 weeks for the muscles to knit back together to fix the tears. EAT lots of PROTEIN and VIT-C to give your body lots of building materials to repair the tears, and you'll be back in no time!!!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
          Hey Don,

Sorry to hear about your dog! Now as to your back, if you're just needing muscle relaxers and pain meds, then it sounds like you just did a major muscle strain/tear vs. doing any damage to your spine/joints....like herniating a disc! Yep, did you twist when you were lifting/ placing the tool box?? If so, then it's mostly some torn muslces.

When I was in the USN in CA, was on ER duty, had a recruit in training fall out during a PFT or such, and we had to go get him, pick him up and take him to the ER in the ambulance. He was 300+ lbs, and there was only 2 of us. We got him on the stretcher/guerney, this was many decades ago before they had those fancy units with expandable frames that allow you to raise it to waist level, then roll it to the ambulance and then have it fold up while pushing it into the cab. We had to dead lift it and I remember being surprised that I was able to lift it with the other medic. But then we had to TWIST to push it into the cab, and that's when my back muscle ripped!!!

For the first few days I just laid in bed only to get up to reheat a wet towel in plastic bag in a microwave to be able to apply fresh moist heat to my back, along with taking the muscle relaxers. IT takes about 2 weeks for the muscles to knit back together to fix the tears. EAT lots of PROTEIN and VIT-C to give your body lots of building materials to repair the tears, and you'll be back in no time!!!

T.C.

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
          Don, how's your dog? You can fix an old bike but old dogs... not so much.

I found an image from a German PDF of the '79 Special parts fiche that was rescued before Yamaha removed the online fiche so I don't have to link to Partzilla. The numbering is slightly different from your '81LH but the parts are the same.

Before you get 'new' parts, is the shift pedal itself loose and doesn't return or is there a bunch of slop when you try to shift but the pedal returns to center?

In a nutshell, you can put the shift shaft and return spring in an empty case half with no transmission or shift drum in it and the shift pedal/shaft won't care, the return spring holds the shifter in place and returns it to the center position if you move the shaft. If the shift pedal itself is loose, the only suspects are the #2 special adjuster screw and #3 nut, the #6 return spring. It's really unlikely but the #11 bolt could have come out of the case or broken off, the #1 shifter assembly could be broken. The adjuster screw and nut are the most likely problem.

The adjuster screw is a 'stop' that gets worked as you ride and shift. If it fell out, pick the parts up out of the bottom of the shifter cover (or fish them out of the oil pan with a magnet ) and put 'em back in the #1 shift shaft assembly.

It was a nice try that didn't really work but Yamaha added the #4 locking washer to try to keep the nut and adjuster screw tight. The lock washer can lock the nut with no problem but not the adjuster screw, it can work loose as you shift and ride the bike until it plops out.

Not to keep you guys suspended, but first chance since the fix to report, dog back to being just an old dog (no longer acting like she won't make the day). Back better after rest, lots of vitamins and almost as bad as it was before LOL.
          The bike, I got help from Daryl and his brother Daryl (guess the dad and mom liked the name ?) turns out a broken #6 torsion spring and wanting to fix ASAP.
          I had left over XS650 parts with a more stout torsion spring, a little long in the leg but dremel took 3/8" off each leg and it worked a charm.
          THANK YOU ALL !!!!! ON THE ROAD AGAIN ,,,,,,,,,,,,
          76 XS650 C ROADSTER
          80 XS650 G Special II
          80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Yup, the shift lever return spring. That's what it sounded like.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Right on! That's a great fix!

So... next weekend you're going to get Mrs. Newton out of the basement? (G,D&R)
              -- Scott
              _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Right on! That's a great fix!

So... next weekend you're going to get Mrs. Newton out of the basement? (G,D&R)
                Who pray tell would Mrs. Newton be ?
                76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                80 XS650 G Special II
                80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
                  Who pray tell would Mrs. Newton be ?
                  Don't worry about it, Scott constantly talks in riddles. Pretty sure it's a chemical brain imbalance.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    Don't worry about it, Scott constantly talks in riddles. Pretty sure it's a chemical brain imbalance.
                    Mrs. Newton was the body in Bob Newharts basement that Darrel and his other brother Darrel were going to dig up when they were introduced in the T V show.
                    -- Scott
                    _____

Comment

Mrs. Newton was the body in Bob Newharts basement that Darrel and his other brother Darrel were going to dig up when they were introduced in the T V show.
                      So, where was Larry?
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                      X