Dunlop American Elite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunlop American Elite

Tire time for my XJ and find the Elite III 19" front no longer available. Can still get the 16" E-III rear though.
    Anyone have any experience with the American Elite?
    Wonder if this is the replacement for the Elite III? It has Multi-tread construction and touted as longer mileage.
    Or mix E-3 rear with American Elite front?
    XJ1100 Ruby Red
    XS1100LH "Midnight"
    1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Originally posted by cruiser View Post
    Tire time for my XJ and find the Elite III 19" front no longer available. Can still get the 16" E-III rear though.
    Wonder if this is the replacement for the Elite III? It has Multi-tread construction and touted as longer mileage.
    If both are bias-ply, mix them. Using bias-ply can be mixed or matched.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I always run the E3 on the rear and a Shinko 712 on the front Arlen. I've tried different combinations front and rear but I like the way those 2 work together.

Usually need to change the front once to every 2 rears.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        If both are bias-ply, mix them. Using bias-ply can be mixed or matched.
        Yes they are bias, moto. Real curious about these American Elite and hoping someone else has tried them.
        XJ1100 Ruby Red
        XS1100LH "Midnight"
        1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          I always run the E3 on the rear and a Shinko 712 on the front Arlen. I've tried different combinations front and rear but I like the way those 2 work together.

Usually need to change the front once to every 2 rears.
          Greg, I remember Tod asking about mileage dropping on the later E-III some time back. This is my 3rd set and has gone down from 16,000 to under 13,000 and these are starting to chop the rear pretty good and not smooth through the corners. Front and back have always seemed to wear fairly equal. Always like the grip though.
          They should be wearing longer as I have slowed down a bit. WINK
          XJ1100 Ruby Red
          XS1100LH "Midnight"
          1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Greg, I remember Tod asking about mileage dropping on the later E-III some time back. This is my 3rd set and has gone down from 16,000 to under 13,000 and these are starting to chop the rear pretty good and not smooth through the corners. Front and back have always seemed to wear fairly equal. Always like the grip though.
            They should be wearing longer as I have slowed down a bit. WINK
            LOL....I usually get 8 - 10K out of one. Ain't slowin' down. I still have the tires on my bike I had on it at XS Southeast in 2015.

I've not been doing as much riding as I usually do. Kids all moved out and I have the house all to myself. No need to escape.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Since you ran out of reasons to escape.....go get married again LOL
              XJ1100 Ruby Red
              XS1100LH "Midnight"
              1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Still making payments on the others.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Dunlap Elite3

Cruiser,
                  In seeing your post about the Dunlap Elite 3 MM90-19 tire being hard to find, I too was concerned as I use them on my 1979SF, So, I contacted Dunlap with the following e-mail—

Is the Dunlap Elite III Front Bias MM90-19 being discontinued? Every dealer I have looked up on the internet is "Out of Stock". Members of the XS11.com Forum are also having difficulty locating them. I don't personally need one now but it is a great tire for my bike and I want to make sure it will be available next year when I will need one.

And, got the following reply—

Yes, the Elite 3 line-up is currently evolving into the Elite 4 series. The MM90-19 size is now available in the Elite 4 series, however is marked as a metric size designation of 100/90-19.

Hope this helps – ride safe!

Regards,

Dave Johnson
                  Consumer Affairs
                  Dunlop Motorcycle Tires
                  P.O. Box 1109, Buffalo, NY 14240
                  phone. 330.833.2826
                  david_johnson@dunlopmotorcycletires.com
                  1979 XS1100SF
                  Original Owner-purchased January 1980

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
                    I pulled the trigger on a set of American Elite and they just arrived today.
                    Similar tread design to the Elite 3, multi-tread, stiff sidewalls. Will have them on by next week and run some miles and report back later.
                    I looked at the Elite 4 but wasn't keen on the straight center groove of the front. The rear tread looked interesting but a lot different than the E-3.
                    Loved the E-3's sorry to see them go.
                    XJ1100 Ruby Red
                    XS1100LH "Midnight"
                    1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

I run the american elite on my 15 Harley ultra limited. They are good tires for heavy weight bikes like that.

May be a bit stiff for a xs11, be curious for a report back when you get some miles on them as Ill be looking for new tires on my xs11 this winter.
                      81' Yamaha XS1100SH
                      15' Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
                        I pulled the trigger on a set of American Elite and they just arrived today.
                        Similar tread design to the Elite 3, multi-tread, stiff sidewalls. Will have them on by next week and run some miles and report back later.
                        I looked at the Elite 4 but wasn't keen on the straight center groove of the front. The rear tread looked interesting but a lot different than the E-3.
                        Loved the E-3's sorry to see them go.
                        Arlan,
                        I hope Dunlop isn't following Michelin's lead, and you get the miles you expect out of them.

I ran the E3's on my Maxim, and could get 20,000 miles outta them!
                        Tod ran some on his Maxim a few years afterwards, and got about 6k, didn't like them...? Never used them again. Greg's had better luck, and likes them.

Michelin invented their best all-around tire a while back for the C14 in the PR2.
                        I average 12,000 miles from them, on a 700lb bike. They were around $265/ set.

Then they came out w/ the PR3. Had rain sipes. It was an ok tire. Price went up to $300/ set. Not quite as good on mileage.

Then came the PR4 & PR4GT. GT's were $20 a set more than 4's. Michelin said we had to use the GT's on our heavy sport tourers. $385/set. Have even better rain sipes. Bragged they'd go "25% more miles than previous PR's."

I bought a set, babied them more than any previous set, no twisties, no 2 up, no heavy loaded trips... got 8000 before they were toast.
                        Needless to say, I was not happy, and felt ripped off. Oh, and they have discontinues the PR2's. Forcing you to spend the extra money...

On closer inspection of Jake Wilson's site, the PR4 has 2 plies in the sidewall.
                        The PR4GT only has 1. When I called Michelin, their spokesperson could not explain to me why they recommend the more expensive 4GT for heavier bikes over the standard 4. Said she'd get back with me. That was 18 months ago, and never has.
                        I call BS. Other C14 COG members have posted they've used the standard PR4 with no problem, and got similar mileage.

Here's hoping Dunlop has not chosen this same tactic with the American Elite's.
                        Let us know how you like them, and ride safe, Arlan!
                        Bob
                        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Also,
                          One thing the E3's have always been known for, has been stiff sidewalls!

I remember once Tod had a mishap on a trip, ripped the sidewall on his E3 front, and when he got it parked, it looked like it was still aired up!

IIRC, he limped it in like that to the next town.

They're a handful to mount up, though.
                          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Working...
                          X