Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrical connectors soaked in Evaporust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical connectors soaked in Evaporust?

I have read about dropping the ignition switch into a small bowl of Evaporust.

Has anyone soaked the electrical plugs in Evaporust? I have the ignition primary coil harness plugs and wires inside my house for soldering new ring terminals. I wonder if immersing the connectors with associated metal parts would remove years of corrosion of the metal parts inside the plastic connectors?
    82 XJ1100 - sold
    96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
    2000 ZRX1100 - sold
    2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Originally posted by HalfCentury View Post
    I have read about dropping the ignition switch into a small bowl of Evaporust.

Has anyone soaked the electrical plugs in Evaporust? I have the ignition primary coil harness plugs and wires inside my house for soldering new ring terminals. I wonder if immersing the connectors with associated metal parts would remove years of corrosion of the metal parts inside the plastic connectors?
    Works excellent! Did that with the run/stop switch, including the switch itself, and it all washed off looking like new,including the red insert in the switch. It'll also work good soaking ignition switch. Just wash it good with water afterwords and blow it dry with compressed air.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I've found it works well to make things look new again,
      but,
      it also seems to remove the original rust protection, as many nuts, bolts, screws look new, but rust quickly after using it.
      80 SG
      81 SH in parts
      99 ST1100
      91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
        I've found it works well to make things look new again,
        but,
        it also seems to remove the original rust protection, as many nuts, bolts, screws look new, but rust quickly after using it.
        Yes, the rust removers like Evapo-Rust will strip the Zinc from galvanized parts, then they'll rust.

Don't put any yellow, Cadmium-coated parts in the solution. Evapo-Rust and its friends will remove the Cadmium so the part will rust and it makes the solution poisonous. If you can see a part is coated but you don't know what kind of coating was used, don't put it in the solution.
        -- Scott
        _____
        ♬
        2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
        ♬

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Works excellent! Did that with the run/stop switch, including the switch itself, and it all washed off looking like new,including the red insert in the switch. It'll also work good soaking ignition switch. Just wash it good with water afterwords and blow it dry with compressed air.
          No need to blow dry with high pressure compressed air WD-40 will make the water just bead up and roll off. WD stands for water displacing which it is very good at though not a good long lasting lubricant.

This new WD, https://tinyurl.com/yb72glw6 has the metal protector PTFE, PTFE was developed during WWll to protect the vats/pipes and such holding the corrosive chemicals used in development of the A Bomb. It not only protects metal it an excellent lubricant.
          76 XS650 C ROADSTER
          80 XS650 G Special II
          https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
          80 XS 1100 SG
          81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
          https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
          AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
            No need to blow dry with high pressure compressed air WD-40 will make the water just bead up and roll off. WD stands for water displacing which it is very good at though not a good long lasting lubricant.

This new WD, https://tinyurl.com/yb72glw6 has the metal protector PTFE, PTFE was developed during WWll to protect the vats/pipes and such holding the corrosive chemicals used in development of the A Bomb. It not only protects metal it an excellent lubricant.
            The compressed air blows any spooge and dirt out of the switch so you don't have to take it apart. Use the WD-40 if you want and blow it out a couple of times to make sure it's clean, then grease it with your favorite switch grease.
            -- Scott
            _____
            ♬
            2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
            ♬

Comment

The immediate question is about the metal contacts in the M/F electrical electrical plugs that make up the wiring harness. Will immersion in Evaporust strip off a protective coating?
              82 XJ1100 - sold
              2000 ZRX1100 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by HalfCentury View Post
                The immediate question is about the metal contacts in the M/F electrical electrical plugs that make up the wiring harness. Will immersion in Evaporust strip off a protective coating?
                So yes immersion in Evaporust will strip off the protective coating.

If you put rusty metal in the Evaporust you will see not only the rust removed but the metal appears to be galvanized, this maybe a finish or an etching of the metal and again maybe somewhat protective at first but I always paint or coat the part with PTFE lube.
                That galvanized like finish (?) when I've used Evaporust to clean a fuel tank seems to protect the inside of the tank from re-rusting. I must say though I mix my non ethanol fuel to 100 to 1 with stabilizing 2 cycle oil.
                Last edited by donebysunday; 07-07-2017, 02:11 PM.
                76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                80 XS650 G Special II
                80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                  The compressed air blows any spooge and dirt out of the switch so you don't have to take it apart. Use the WD-40 if you want and blow it out a couple of times to make sure it's clean, then grease it with your favorite switch grease.
                  If you don't have a compressor, spray brake cleaner will blast out the crud, brake cleaner is under refined dry cleaning fluid made to leave no residue. Electrical contact cleaner too but more costly.
                  The PTFE will also lube the contact/friction surfaces and any rotating/hinged joints.
                  76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                  80 XS650 G Special II
                  80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Hey Done,

Brake parts cleaner WILL EAT/melt plastic parts, so I wouldn't use it on the switches or the connectors!

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I am starting with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. Someone appears to have drank all my 95% Everclear and it was not me.

There were quite a few nasty particles that ended up in the little cup of 91% IPA. we shall see if the connections are good when I get the wiring installed.

Thanks for the tips. I am going to steer clear of the Evaporust for the connectors for now. I do not want to make things worse.
                      82 XJ1100 - sold
                      2000 ZRX1100 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                        Hey Done,

Brake parts cleaner WILL EAT/melt plastic parts, so I wouldn't use it on the switches or the connectors!

T.C.

I just tried the brake parts cleaner on an old speedo needle and OH YES it melts/eats the speedo needle.

What about electrical contact cleaner ?
                        Does it melt plastic too ?
                        If so then I guess there is air in a can used for blowing out the dust in the key board.
                        I swear I've used the brake parts cleaner on some switch gear parts and no problem ?
                        I had to experiment on that needle.
                        Thanks T.C. !
                        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                        80 XS650 G Special II
                        80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Berrymans B12 eats plastic Dixie cups. Glad it happened on my driveway and not in my garage.
                          82 XJ1100 - sold
                          2000 ZRX1100 - sold

Comment

CRC Electronics contact cleaner will NOT eat most plastics used for switches. I've used it a number of times and never had a problem.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

DeoxIT-Contact-Cleaner also a great, plastic safe product.

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-De...eywords=deoxit
                              80 SG
                              81 SH in parts
                              99 ST1100
                              91 ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X