XJ1100 rear carrier rack ideas needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ1100 rear carrier rack ideas needed

I need a rear carrier for my XJ1100, I was thinking of making my own simple tubular platform that bolts to the XJ's rear aluminium seat bar to carry a tent and other camping kit. I have hard bags already so only need to make the rear carrier rack.

Have any of you guys made something like this? or bought one like this?

Any pictures would be great.

Tom
    Tom
    1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
    1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
    1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
    1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Tom,
    I welded up a carrier for my LG from 1/4" square tubing. I used the shock mount top bolt as the front point, and one set of bolts on the handle as a second mount. I'll look and see if I have a photo available. It IS a lot like the XJ, so it would probably work for you. I did make it as an "extension" of the seat so I could put something large on the rack and passenger seat, then bungie it down.
    Sorry, no photo. Photobucket is so bad that after 2 minutes I STILL can't get to my own photo's! I'll take the time later today to pull everything off the site...
    Last edited by DiverRay; 07-03-2017, 09:52 AM.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks Ray, I'll be riding two up so will need to put the kit behind the pillion.

Apart from the forward extension part it sounds like your idea is what I need, a photo would have been good, PhotoBucket is a PIA now.
      Tom
      1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg

Comment

Hey Tom,

I made a rack frame for mine years ago because I mounted both some hard saddlebags as well as a trunk bag. I used Angle iron and ran it from the upper shock mount like Ray said, but the XS's grab rail is not as BENT/Curved as the XJ's. SO...you would probably need to just use a piece of flat bar at least from the upper shock mount backwards till it cleared the grab rail area, then you could change to square tubing. I also used the rear grab rail mounting bolts as another support point for the trunk rack, but I also incorporated it into the saddlebag frame as well, so I also ran a support bar down to the passenger foot peg mount as well, but you probably don't need to do that.

The XJ has some bolts securing the upper plastic grab rail section to the lower metal portion, so that's another point where you could make another support bracket point to attach there as well. Spread those weight stresses around.

T.C.

This is a very old photo(s), but it shows the bags/trunk frame assembly, I was able to relocate the turn signals onto the rack moving them out of the way of the saddlebags.
        The bags/trunk are diamond plate aluminum, not just off the shelf ABS stuff!

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...cntrls_06b.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...psr8pwmhqh.jpg

T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Wow TC that is impressive luggage! Thanks for the photos.

I was thinking along this sort of idea

But not at this price
          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-110...AAAOSws5pZG4s2

I like your idea of flat plate for the bottom part, like where the ebay rack bolts to the bike instead of tube as the ebay rack has, Harley racks use similar flat plate.
          I have 1/8" stainless plate that would work Ok.
          Tom

Comment

That rack is dying to have you make an offer on it. It's not going to sell at that price with the wear and tear it has.
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Hi Tom,

I have an extra KG adjustable rear rack you can have if it will work for ya.

I have the same rack fitted to my XJ 750MK but I had to remove the grab bar.

I have it listed in the parts for sale section except the pics aren't visible thanxs to Pee Bucket.

I'll try to get pics up for ya somehow.
              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Tom, Can't upload or find the photo's I want. But, if you look at the picture of the rack, and imagine running a strait bar from the bend at the lower mount hole up to the end of the same bracket, you get the idea. makes the rack MUCH more stable, and very little weight added.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG

Comment

Dya mean some triangulation added?
                  Tom

Comment

Back in the day I was looking for a rack for my XJ. Came across a rack at a boneyard, the guy I spoke to though it came off a Honda 750. Has one of those sliding backrests with a pocket that says "Honda" on it. Seems to me I adapted it to fit the XJ without much trouble, adapted it again when I mounted Vetter bags and fairing to fit the Vetter frame since I didn't get the Vetter rack.

Paid around $10.00 for it. You might look into adapting a close fit instead of constructing something from scratch. At lest gives you a starting point.
                    Jerry Fields
                    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                    '06 Concours
                    My Galleries Page.
                    My Blog Page.
                    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Tom, yes. I wanted something that COULD carry 50 lbs WITHOUT fear of it breaking. I'm old school, and ALWAYS over-engineer.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                        I'm old school, and ALWAYS over-engineer.
                        Haha yep me too.

Thanks Jerry, I never thought of adapting another rack.
                        Tom

Comment

I didn't make this. I got it off EBay for about $50. I don't know what brand it is. The only issue is it covers up the license plate, but so far I have not had any issues with the police.

Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                          80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                          82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                          82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                          82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                          72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                          72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Hi Tom. i have a rack for a xs11, dont know if it would fit the xj. I can take some pics if your interested. You can pm on this site or our uk site.

Cheers Rob
                            Rob
                            XS Eleven SF
                            Could this be the finest Triumph Bonneville ever built ?
                            (Cycle January 1979)

Comment

Thanks for all the brilliant responses guys

Thanks Ty, where it fits to the XJ aluminium rail fixing is good to see. I hadn't thought about the license plate problem, I may mount the plate below the rear light to get round the problem, the UK Police are red hot on license plate infringements

Cheers Rob, the XJ1100 is slightly different to the XS1100's but any info is good as these guys have shown.

The 2018 Euro rally is in Berlin and I want to go on my XJ1100, having just got back from this years rally its in my mind to get on with my XJ11 work
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X