Maiden Voyage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maiden Voyage

Here is the XJ1100 after a shakedown cruise through my neighborhood.

The cheap FleaBay petcocks appear to possibly be a bit too low for gravity to do its thing. The engine seems to run "stumbly". I will adjust the fuel lines and the brass Tee to see what is up.

On the left side of the bike, the knockoff petcock fuel exit is the wrong direction. I messed with the plumbing routing and could not find a satisfactory way to route the fuel line from this exit. So, I capped off this petcock and am only using the right petcock.

It is possible that Carb 3 and 4 are starved.

I may have to go back to the OEM petcocks.

More stuff to play with.

After riding the bike around the neighborhood, I was surprised that the riding position seems to be cramped. It feels that way compared to the FJR.

As a final note, I have made a decision to let the XJ1100 pass into the hands of someone new. I will be placing the XJ1100 into the "Bikes for sale" on this forum and on Craigslist. I cringe at having to deal with Craigslist scammers.

Any comments concerning only running one petcock into one of these 1100 engines? Can one petcock keep up with the 1100 carbs?
    82 XJ1100 - sold
    96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
    2000 ZRX1100 - sold
    2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

I run OEM single left fuel tap on both my Standard and Special with absolutely no fuel starvation problems. In your pic it looks like the fuel filter is higher than the fuel tap, that may have some starvation effect if the tank is low on fuel. Nice XJ!
    Last edited by bikerphil; 06-16-2017, 01:17 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Agree with Phil. Maybe route your fuel line down to the T between carbs.
      1995 KZ100P
      Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
      Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

What kind of seat is that and where did you get it?
        Slow down and enjoy life. If you are in that much of a hurry, you should have left eariler.
        Current rides:
        80 XS1100SG
        82 JX1100
        83 Venture Royale
        86 V-Max

Comment

Originally posted by Aches n Pains View Post
          Agree with Phil. Maybe route your fuel line down to the T between carbs.
          A single fuel feed running through a single restrictive fuel filter before splitting the line can lead to fuel starvation. Some of those stone-type filter elements are very restrictive.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by mlew View Post
            What kind of seat is that and where did you get it?
            Its a Corbin. It was on the bike when I bought it. I had it re-covered last year at a car interior shop.

I do not like the seat. I should have ridden the old skin for a long trip before I had it re-covered.

I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam. Others may like the seat. You are welcome to try it out to see if you like it.
            82 XJ1100 - sold
            2000 ZRX1100 - sold

Comment

I owned one of these 30 yrs and i never ever liked the seat even right off the showroom floor it sucked..but being in my 30s i was able to put up with it...now in my old age it just wont cut the mustard...Always XJ seats sit me too low and cramp me up from the seat to the footpegs...I could never ride more than 100 miles at a stretch on the damn thing... also i have learned that if a used Corbin is on a bike that i have bought it sucks too..they are custom made so if you dont fit it..forget it..too hard and un forgiving..otherwise this is a beautiful bike...Is that a dent in the tank???
              Last edited by madmax-im; 06-25-2017, 11:23 AM.
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                I owned one of these 30 yrs and i never ever liked the seat even right off the showroom floor it sucked..but being in my 30s i was able to put up with it...now in my old age it just wont cut the mustard...Always XJ seats sit me too low and cramp me up from the seat to the footpegs...I could never ride more than 100 miles at a stretch on the damn thing... also i have learned that if a used Corbin is on a bike that i have bought it sucks too..they are custom made so if you dont fit it..forget it..too hard and un forgiving..otherwise this is a beautiful bike...Is that a dent in the tank???
                Yes it is a dent in the tank. I believe that the PO experienced a low speed collision with a garage door frame or dropped the bike. The right headlight bucket bracket is bent and the speedo subrame was cracked. I replaced the speedo and tach over a year ago but have not addressed the headlight bucket bracket nor the dent in the tank. There is a smaller dent on the opposite side of the tank.
                82 XJ1100 - sold
                2000 ZRX1100 - sold

Comment

Here's how I fixed the small dent I put in my tank when I dropped a wrench. I'm all set for the next one, too!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192196493039
                  Steve R

'80 SG
                  "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
                  1978 XS400E Red
                  1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

I like that fix...
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                    X