Brake squeak and rubbing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake squeak and rubbing.

Just changed tire and she's creaking up front. Possibly I might not of lined something correctly when I put back on? I saw post on making sure rotors aren't hitting forks before I tightened pinch bolt. I didn't change pads as they looked good. I know one rotor is warm when I check it. Can't remember which side now. Clue what to look for first. Seems to brake the same as before. Any help would be appreciated.The squeaking is driving me crazy. Thanks.
    P.S. I'm still amazed I took of and put back together as I'm not mechanically inclined but I'm learning on this bike.
    79 XS11SF

Originally posted by dbmb0416 View Post
    Just changed tire and she's creaking up front. Possibly I might not of lined something correctly when I put back on? I saw post on making sure rotors aren't hitting forks before I tightened pinch bolt. I didn't change pads as they looked good. I know one rotor is warm when I check it. Can't remember which side now. Clue what to look for first. Seems to brake the same as before. Any help would be appreciated.The squeaking is driving me crazy. Thanks.
    P.S. I'm still amazed I took of and put back together as I'm not mechanically inclined but I'm learning on this bike.
    The squeal is from the contact of the back of the pad and the caliper piston. Brake anti-squeal can be found at most auto parts places. Spray it onto the back (metal) of the brake pad, let dry, do again and maybe again. Your putting a coating of this stuff on the back of the pad so this thin layer keeps the pad and the caliper piston insulated from each other.

As far as one getting warm, a big C clamp can push the piston back into the caliper just a little and may free it up so it fully retracts into the caliper when you release the brake (protect the finish of the front of the caliper). If this does not help, pulling back the rubber dust shield and cleaning around the piston inside it's bore in the caliper may do it. I've been known to carefully use a little WD-40 on the piston (don't get it messy) keep it confined to the piston bore but enough that it gets down into the O-ring of the piston.
    If this does not help, rebuild is the next step.
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Two things to look for, one is to be sure the rotor is centered as closely as possible on that right fork lower with the pinch bolt. Two is, there is a sleeve that runs through the caliper that the mounting bolt goes through. That sleeve should slide and/or spin freely in the caliper to allow the caliper to pivot freely.

Oh, and a couple other things too. The metal hardware clip that fits into the groove on the lowers should be snug and installed properly and the spring clip in the calipers should clean and hold pressure on the pads to keep them from being loose when everything is mounted and in place.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks guys I will check all.
        79 XS11SF

Comment

Working...
        X