Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for suggestions for modern brake calipers...front and rear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was the cause of the rear brake lock up?

Freshly rebuilt front calipers and stainless lines properly bled with the master cylinder properly functioning will stop pretty much as hard as the front tire will allow. With respect to keeping anyone from being hurt, I apologize for any offending ideas to the effect of a well kept stock front brake system.

I think it's good policy to keep comments above board, there are other places to go and post for some of the things I've read in this thread.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Think seriously about your next reply.

Originally posted by NorCoaster View Post
      Well. I knew it was getting to be about time to upgrade to stainless brake hoses and was already starting to look in finding some modern calipers, but the rear brake locking up on me while riding yesterday just fast forwarded that plan to the forefront of things to do. So.

Anybody know of some good aftermarket dual piston calipers for the front and a more modern single for the rear that I wouldn't have to do crazy mods for in order to mount them?
      Originally posted by NorCoaster View Post
      I could give two ****s about what's the easiest, Marty. At this point I'm done posting, and commenting, about anything I might want to do, or am doing, to the bike. Many of you telling me to swap this, swap that. Or do the simplest or easiest way. Or that it can't be done. On most everything I've posted since I joined. I remember how many of you got sand vaginas when the guy with the straight-piped cafe xs11 came in and a bunch of you acted like stuck up little kids. This isn't high school. Get over yourselves. You don't have to be a ****ing "expert' to understand this ****.
      Nor,

You're contradicting yourself, you first message states you're not looking to have to do crazy mods....that makes US think you mean relatively EASY MOD, then you bite Marty's head off with your followup after both he and I informed you about the need to swap the front forks...sliders and upper tubes so that you can get the STANDARD 2 bolt type of caliper mounts that ARE relatively easy to make a MOD mounting bracket....or get the already modded calipers from Harrison's link that FJ111200 posted about and he also commented that it's EURO, and designed to fit the Euro Sport model...which I can't quickly find any photos of to confirm their style, either like the standard or more like the XJ11...that's another option....the XJ11's forks/sliders have the leading axle design, AND also have the 2 bolt mount pattern.

Perhaps YOU will be able to design an adapter plate to convert a 2 bolt mount caliper to the single swivel bolt mount of the Special? The OEM caliper is positioned to put all of the rotational force DIRECTLY into the mounting bracket, and the caliper is very proximal to the fork/mounting bracket so there's very little torsional forces on the mounting bolt. Making an adapter that positions the dual piston caliper farther away from the mounting bracket, not to mention any farther or closer to the center of the wheel can change the forces applied to that bracket possibly inducing unwanted torsional forces that could otherwise bend/break the single mounting bolt letting the caliper fly into the wheel/spokes and all sorts of fun could ensue!

YES...your OLD vinyl lines break down and CRUD will flow down the lines into the calipers possibly clogging the lines or the caliper piston, as well as back flowing clogging the spooge hole.

As Bonz said, your FLAMING outbursts are NOT WELCOME HERE, we are trying to provide you with usable information according to your request....but then you changed the parameters of your request!

SO...stick around, post appropriate respectful formatted replies, or LEAVE.... at this point I DON'T CARE anymore, and am about 1 click away from BANNING your account anyways! It's your call, your move, the ball's in your court, just be sure of what you want to do next....you will be held accountable.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
      X