Doing The Clutch Spring Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing The Clutch Spring Fix

I have been noticing my clutch starting to slip when I am giving my bike a good bit of throttle and getting her up to 5k+. I have read good things on here about installing Barnett springs, so I am going to start with that before tearing the whole clutch assembly apart and looking at that. It sounds like just doing the springs is a pretty painless procedure for the most part. I am going to tear into it tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone had any specific tips or things I need to watch out for. I am going to use TC's awesome guide on doing the clutch (thanks TC!) Also, I am going to use Permatex gasket maker (oil resistant black) for the first time. Does this stuff work pretty well? Anything I need to watch for with it? I just figured it made more sense to use something like this incase I need to open the cover back up later and replace plates.

Thanks!
    1980 XS1100SG "Charlene"

LakeOber, where are you using the Permatex? If it's for the clutch cover, that should work fine as long as you make sure both surfaces are clean and dry with no oil.

Before you take off the clutch cover, loosen the locknut and back out the clutch rod adjusting screw a few turns, then readjust it after you put the cover back on. With no gasket, the clutch rod will be closer to the throwout bearing in the clutch, that'll make it a little too tight and won't fully release the clutch after you tighten down all the cover screws.

If you're only replacing the clutch springs with Barnetts, just make sure you're careful when you put the Star plate back on. Like T.C. said in the tutorial, tighten each bolt 1/2 turn at a time in a star pattern and wiggle the plate as it goes down so the little tabs on the plate don't bind on the spring support posts and break the plate.

Be careful!
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Thanks for the advice 3Phase, everything seemed to go well. It did take me quite a while to figure this all out since it was my first time messing with the clutch on this bike, but I was able to get everything done in a few hours. The most time consuming part by far was removing the old gasket material. I ended up using "The Right Stuff" by Permatex and it worked well. No leaks yet

I got on her and took it up to about 7k with no slipping. I'd say that was what it needed. I did not measure the old springs, but holding them up to the new ones, I could tell they were shorter.
      1980 XS1100SG "Charlene"

Comment

Right on! I just got back from a decent trip myself, it's nice when the clutch works, isn't it.
        -- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
        X