Fuel lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel lines

When I was working on Cherry's front tire (78E), I was thinking that it would be a good thing to change the tygon fuel hoses. I instead put it off thinking I will get to it soon. Well, giving the front tire a test ride, I was coming home on the dirt road and it jiggled the fuel line enough to split the damn thing and gas was all over the place. At first I thought one of the floats was stuck. A word to the wise, if you are using the tygon stuff, change it regularly!
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Originally posted by skids View Post
    When I was working on Cherry's front tire (78E), I was thinking that it would be a good thing to change the tygon fuel hoses. I instead put it off thinking I will get to it soon. Well, giving the front tire a test ride, I was coming home on the dirt road and it jiggled the fuel line enough to split the damn thing and gas was all over the place. At first I thought one of the floats was stuck. A word to the wise, if you are using the tygon stuff, change it regularly!
    Do you have to have the clear line ?
    If not Michael "Mercury" Morse of Vintage Brake was selling the gray non see through Tygon that will last !
    Come to think I could use some

Michael "Mercury" Morse

15069 Lupine Lane
    Sonora, CA 95370

209-533-4346
    Fax: (209) 533-4346

info@vintagebrake.com
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
      Do you have to have the clear line ?
      If not Michael "Mercury" Morse of Vintage Brake was selling the gray non see through Tygon that will last !
      Come to think I could use some

Michael "Mercury" Morse

15069 Lupine Lane
      Sonora, CA 95370

209-533-4346
      Fax: (209) 533-4346

info@vintagebrake.com
      I was under the understanding that tygon was the best stuff made. The reinforced black fuel line needs changing as well to prevent the degraded "rubber" from fouling the carbs, but now I believe that the splitting of the tygon lines, dumping gasoline onto to hot exhaust system is a real hazard!
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

How long was your Tygon line on the bike? I am plumbing my XJ1100 with clear Tygon line that I obtained from Fleabay.

I restored an XJ650 in 2008 and rode it often until I had to park it in 2012. I found that the clear fuel line was a real bonus to witness how the fuel evaporated from the carbs when the bike was parked and how the bubbles rose from the carbs when the petcock was turned to PRIME. I was very instructive to learn exactly how long it required from turning the petcock lever until all the air bubbles were out of the fuel line.
        82 XJ1100 - sold
        96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
        2000 ZRX1100 - sold
        2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

Originally posted by HalfCentury View Post
          How long was your Tygon line on the bike? I am plumbing my XJ1100 with clear Tygon line that I obtained from Fleabay.

I restored an XJ650 in 2008 and rode it often until I had to park it in 2012. I found that the clear fuel line was a real bonus to witness how the fuel evaporated from the carbs when the bike was parked and how the bubbles rose from the carbs when the petcock was turned to PRIME. I was very instructive to learn exactly how long it required from turning the petcock lever until all the air bubbles were out of the fuel line.
          I use two Fram G3515 inline fuel filters and run fuel lines from the tees to the opposit petcocks. Those are metal filters and a good diameter for room. You will not need more than 2 feet of hose. I think I used about 5 or 6 inches of hose on each side of the filters. Tygon is good stuff but remember to change it periodically. It is not reinforced. The stuff that failed was transparent red hose made for motorcycle fuel line.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

I use two Fram G3515 inline fuel filters and run fuel lines from the tees to the opposit petcocks. Those are metal filters and a good diameter for room. You will not need more than 2 feet of hose. I think I used about 5 or 6 inches of hose on each side of the filters. Tygon is good stuff but remember to change it periodically. It is not reinforced. The stuff that failed was transparent red hose made for motorcycle fuel line.
            My intention was to ask how many years the tygon stuff was on the bike before it became brittle. Poory crafted question on my part.
            82 XJ1100 - sold
            2000 ZRX1100 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by HalfCentury View Post
              My intention was to ask how many years the tygon stuff was on the bike before it became brittle. Poory crafted question on my part.
              3 or 4 years I think.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

3 or 4 years I think.
                Replacing the fuel line at every carb cleaning should avoid problems with the tygon. Or, every time you replace the in line fuel filters.

When I took the carbs off the 97 Magna this spring, more than one black fuel hose was shrunken and brittle. That tells me that those hoses were in there for quite some time.
                82 XJ1100 - sold
                2000 ZRX1100 - sold

Comment

My tygon has been on my bike for around 6 years and it is still pretty soft. Not as soft as the new tygon I have laying around that I use for other things but It is nowhere near brittle.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                    My tygon has been on my bike for around 6 years and it is still pretty soft. Not as soft as the new tygon I have laying around that I use for other things but It is nowhere near brittle.
                    The tygon on each bike that failed did not feel brittle. In fact it felt "gummy." I know that would seem counter-intuitive for splitting in the line, but that what happened to one bike and the other split around the circumference near the petcock nipple.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

I was under the understanding that tygon was the best stuff made. The reinforced black fuel line needs changing as well to prevent the degraded "rubber" from fouling the carbs, but now I believe that the splitting of the tygon lines, dumping gasoline onto to hot exhaust system is a real hazard!
                      I called Michael and he has clear Tygon as well now, remember he was vintage racing but I don't know how often he changed his fuel line.
                      I do know from my wrenching that it stayed nice and supple, at $5.00 per ft. it should be good.
                      I've tried other Tygon (advertised as anyway) from local shops and eBay and it's not the same.
                      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                      80 XS650 G Special II
                      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                      80 XS 1100 SG
                      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

I never had a problem with my Tygon line getting brittle. It has been on my bike going on 3 years maybe more.
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        Inline fuel filters
                        New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                        160 mph speedometer mod
                        Kerker Exhaust
                        xschop K & N air filter setup
                        Dynojet Recalibration kit
                        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                        1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
                          I never had a problem with my Tygon line getting brittle. It has been on my bike going on 3 years maybe more.
                          Like I said, "The tygon on each bike that failed did not feel brittle. In fact it felt "gummy." I know that would seem counter-intuitive for splitting in the line, but that what happened to one bike and the other split around the circumference near the petcock nipple."
                          Last edited by skids; 05-30-2017, 02:27 PM.
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

I work with Tygon on my job quite a bit-Never had it feel gummy at all. Furthermore you should always check your bike before each ride anyway. I have used Tygon on our forced air heaters at work as the original fuel line got eaten by hungry mice. Never had an issue with it.That is also why I wont work on friends bikes as things like gaskets need to be replaced-only so many times you can use them over before they fail.
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            Inline fuel filters
                            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                            160 mph speedometer mod
                            Kerker Exhaust
                            xschop K & N air filter setup
                            Dynojet Recalibration kit
                            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Working...
                            X