New to me 80SG!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    Yup, those highway pegs are where my feet are most of the time on LD rides. Stock pegs are just too uncomfortable for me for any length of time and you get all the heat from the engine on your legs.
    I tend to use stock pegs most of the time, but it is good to alternate to move butt pressure around and help out the knees. (Yeah, I am old).
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
      I tend to use stock pegs most of the time, but it is good to alternate to move butt pressure around and help out the knees. (Yeah, I am old).
      Yeah, I use the stock pegs and even the passenger pegs to get the blood back in my butt. The highway pegs are the most comfortable for this old guy though.

The highway pegs kill my gas mileage though. My long legs are high wind resistance.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

The highway pegs kill my gas mileage though. My long legs are high wind resistance.
        Nah, it's the bell bottoms from the '70's that kill your gas mileage!
        But really, it's just trying to keep a steady speed that does the most good. See you July, with my T from 2011.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
          But really, it's just trying to keep a steady speed that does the most good. See you July, with my T from 2011.
          Ha ha ha, My butt got to big for all my old bell bottoms so I had to give them to the Salvation Army.

I do have some really comfortable soft cotton cargo pants but the wind makes them climb up above the knee if I wear them when riding.

I can adjust my speed with the throttle lock on with my leg position. If I'm doing 70 with my feet on the highway pegs, if I move back to stock I gain 10MPH. Another 5 if I use the rear pegs.

LOL.....I use this method to pass cars on the highway without touching the throttle.

Looking forward to meeting you in person Ray. Been doing my best to get Cody to ride along.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
            Haha! The mental picture of the double parachute effect!
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post

I can adjust my speed with the throttle lock on with my leg position. If I'm doing 70 with my feet on the highway pegs, if I move back to stock I gain 10MPH. Another 5 if I use the rear pegs.

LOL.....I use this method to pass cars on the highway without touching the throttle.

Looking forward to meeting you in person Ray. Been doing my best to get Cody to ride along.
              So if you lay forward with your legs straight out, warp-speed!!!
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

LOL, Rollie Free...
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                  Thanks for the question, the bike is running the BPR6EIX. It's a resistor plug, been running them since 2011. I unscrew the metal nub off the top so the threads are exposed and push on the plug cap.

I have heard about running resistor plugs and resistor caps. I had been running these well before I became knowledgeable a few years ago of potential issues. I understand the theoretical issue but in reality do resistor plugs and caps really cause damage or issues? Since everything works fine I left them in.

I would like to hear some opinions or facts on the matter.
                  Me Too !
                  I don't know whether to blame this combination or not ?

Early in the season last year I had iridium plugs foul, resister caps and BPR6EIX resister plugs. At the time I just said stuff happens and spent another $30+ for more of the same BPR6EIX resister plugs.
                  This time though, brand new resister caps and wires trimmed back, so far so good.
                  I really think the reduced spark of the 2Xs resister to blame for the fouling last spring ? ? ? OPsOs please !
                  Last edited by donebysunday; 05-26-2017, 10:38 AM. Reason: addition
                  76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                  80 XS650 G Special II
                  https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                  80 XS 1100 SG
                  81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                  https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                  AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Working...
                  X