Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn Signal Glitch

Hi guys (gals?)

I thought I had everything worked off the list on the 79 standard I have been refreshing. Nope.

During my ride today, I discovered the left hand turn signal is not working correctly. If I push the button, it flashes once and goes off. If I hold the button to the left, it stays on, then turns off when I release the button.

The right turn signal is working normally - stays on for the pre-determined time, then goes off.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Art
    79 F

Pretty sure your problem is with the switch itself, it can be repaired if taken apart. Be extra careful as wires can break off their solder joints.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Padre, that's what happens when one bulb isn't working, are the front and rear lamps both lighting up?
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I will check the bulbs. After a two hour isolation, now it seems to be working again. Prior to that, left side working, right side nothing. Weird!
        79 F

Comment

The flasher needs about 55 Watts to flash: two 27W Stop/Turn filaments + the 1 Watt Indicator lamp. If one of the bulbs is burned out or has a bad connection, the flasher can't flash.

It's a little tedious but separate and re-seat the harness connector for the left-hand control set that's on the frame under the fuel tank, then the do the same for each one of the Signal connectors and bulbs.
          -- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Checking that connector under the tank is a good call.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

Thank you for helpful ideas!

Does anyone know if the left handlebar control sold by Mike's XS for the XS650 can be used for the 1979 XS11F?

Does anyone have a good used or NOS left handlebar control?

Thanks everyone!

Art
              79 F

Comment

Padre, you gots a voltage drop issue. Easy to check with key on and a volt meter.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by Padre4art View Post
                  I will check the bulbs. After a two hour isolation, now it seems to be working again. Prior to that, left side working, right side nothing. Weird!
                  Time to clean out the switch. It is a momentary switch on the left handlebar. Very easy to do with contact cleaner spray and a small brush.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Yes, I would clean it first, although the Mikes switch will work after rearranging the wires in the connector plug.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

Comment

Working...
                    X