Changing front wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing front wheel

How much of a pain is it? Been putting it off but the dry rot in one spot is starting to grow. Any good tips would be appreciated. It looks pretty straight forward but you never know.
    79 XS11SF

Take the wheel and tire to the shop to get the tire replaced and balanced.

If your bike has dual exhaust and a center stand, you can easily jack the bike up in the front. Personally, I put a 2x4 across the underside of the pipes and jack it up with a scissor jack to make contact of the rear tire with the concrete floor.

It really is a good idea to loosen the torque on the axle nut and the brake caliper bolts before you jack it up.

You will need to loosen the bolts on the fender and tip it back to get the tire and wheel out/in. Also disconnect the the speedo cable from the drive at the axle.

When you install, make sure you line up the slot in the speedo drive with the fork tab and that it stays lined-up as you torque the nut.

There is more to it than that, like lining-up the rotor with the caliper, yadayada.

You probably saw my post about breaking off a fork stud. There is an arrow on the axle holder cap that should be pointed towards the front (at least on the standard model). Mine did not have that arrow and that forward nut is supposed to be torqued first to close the gap. I had it backwards and broke the stud!
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hi dbm0416,
      Get the manual and follow the directions. also loosen the fork brace....you do have a fork brace...
      Make a note of the spacers and where they go ( take a picture)
      Check the bearings and lubricate them and the speedo drive.
      Use the centre stand with a piece of plywood under it to give a bit more clearance.
      I use Jack stands under the crash bar to hold the front end up off the ground.
      I've done it so it is not that hard
      On the Specials check the caliper retaining bolt is straight as they bend easily and often. Good time to replace pads if worn.

Phil
      Last edited by MaximPhil; 05-18-2017, 09:55 PM.
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I reiterate the first and last things Phil has said above.

Get a manual ... not just for this operation but for general knowledge about these fine old machines. Worth it's weight in gold.

Since you have a special I can almost guarantee your caliper bolts will be bent. Watch the caliper as you unscrew the bolt. If it wobbles back and forth ever so slightly the bolt is bent. Replace the bolt (available at most hardware stores) because you will never find that sweet spot where your brakes will work properly if you try to re-use the old bolt.

Have fun !!
        Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Thanks guys. I will use all the info. Ride safe.
          79 XS11SF

Comment

Thanks for tips. Tire off and ready for new tire tomorrow. Extra pair of hands from my son was a big help.
            79 XS11SF

Comment

When putting back together should I align rotors to the forks and tighten everything up and then put calipers back on(pads are fine) or align after calipers are on? Sorry if I sound un knowledgeable but just wanna do the easiest way to ride later. The caliper bolts look straight but gonna replace anyway. Thanks.
              79 XS11SF

Comment

Hey if you verified them as straight, I would clean them up and put them back in. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (I am a cheap guy).
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                  Hey if you verified them as straight, I would clean them up and put them back in. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (I am a cheap guy).
                  ^^Ditto^^

Why replace something that doesn't need replacing... Best wisdom of the day so far! Bent? Yes, replace them. Not bent, why?

Just like skids, most guys around here subscribe to that as well. You don't need to impress us by putting shiny new bolts somewhere that no one will ever see them.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                  X