HELP! I broke a fork stud (standard)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! I broke a fork stud (standard)

I broke a fork stud for the left-side axle holder on a standard. Has anyone ever removed and replaced one of those studs? There is quite a bit left to grab onto once I get at it. I put a propane torch on it and the bottom of the fork and gave it a shot of PB Blaster. Then I gave it some taps with a hammer. It is currently sitting while I think about it.

My forks were chromed so I really do not want to replace the fork lower unless there is no other alternative.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

On the bike is hard, but doable. If you have some electronics freeze spray, it helps! Heat up the fork lower to about 250 F, and hit just the stud with a quick blast of freeze spray. Then quickly start to turn out the bit of old stud. Plan on doing 1/4 to 1/2 turn out, and then part way back in for the first two or three full turns to help clean the junk from the threads. after that, it should turn out. replacements can be had from an Ace Hardware, Auto parts, etc.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
      On the bike is hard, but doable. If you have some electronics freeze spray, it helps! Heat up the fork lower to about 250 F, and hit just the stud with a quick blast of freeze spray. Then quickly start to turn out the bit of old stud. Plan on doing 1/4 to 1/2 turn out, and then part way back in for the first two or three full turns to help clean the junk from the threads. after that, it should turn out. replacements can be had from an Ace Hardware, Auto parts, etc.
      Freeze spray? I live in the boonies far away from electronic stores, Do they sell that stuff at Ace?
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

OK, I got it out with the heat, followed by BP Blaster and a little time, using a pipe wench. I was sweating bullets. Ace didn't have the stud, so I went into town to NAPA. Ray, thanks for the tp.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Well done Skids.
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I replaced mine when I put the new rotors and calipers on. I got them out, and easily replaced it.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

ok, I'll ask....What's a fork stud?
              80 SG
              81 SH in parts
              99 ST1100
              91 ST1100

Comment

Hey Dean- if u look at the bottom of the fork, you'll see two nuts holding the axle on. That bottom cap comes off, exposing two studs.
                1979 XS1100F
                2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
                  ok, I'll ask....What's a fork stud?
                  It's a Standard thing...you would not understand
                  (along with the cap it holds the axle on to the bottom of the fork leg.)
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                    It's a Standard thing...you would not understand
                    (along with the cap it holds the axle on to the bottom of the fork leg.)
                    Phil
                    ah-ha...They are different animals, aren't they.
                    80 SG
                    81 SH in parts
                    99 ST1100
                    91 ST1100

Comment

Yup.......Specials have leading front axle(front of fork leg), Standards do not(bottom of fork leg).......and one model is KYB, other model is Showia, each having different diameters.
                      Last edited by motoman; 05-19-2017, 01:41 PM.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                      X