Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Squeak - What's wrong with her this time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Squeak - What's wrong with her this time?

So after my adventures revitalizing the bike this winter, she's been running beautifully. Great power, no knocks or pings, just perfect. I rode her for 3 months now on an almost daily basis (weather permitting), for around 1.5k miles. A week or so ago, I took a longer ride down the freeway. Usually I stick to local roads, being that she is my ride to work bike and I don't live too terribly far away, but I had places to go and took her for 2 hours on the highway. About halfway home, she developed a high pitched metallic squeak, not dissimilar to light brake dragging. I got her home, tweaked my brakes (which were dragging a little), and let her be. I rode her a few times, tweaking my brakes each time I heard the squeak, but no matter what I tweaked, it wouldn't go away. The squeak is from the front end, so it sounds. I checked my wheel bearing, and all seems good. Not heating up, doesn't shimmy, rolls smooth.

Now I'm hearing the squeak from the engine. It follows RPM. The first squeak was the brakes, at least a little bit, but now there's one in the engine. It's not terribly loud, but it concerns me. Chain has been tensioned, valves and cams are good. Any ideas as to what's squeaking?
    1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

So after some driving and attempts at analyzing the sound, i think its in the clutch. Clutch release bearing maybe? Would that squeak like worn brakes?
    1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Comment

It's in an oil bath/shower but it might squeal if the clutch lever was adjusted too tight and not releasing, riding the throwout bearing.
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Hey Seth,

Well, the clutch is WET, and so I doubt that it's the throwout bearing. When you got the bike, did you change the middle drive oil? Have you checked it's level lately, sometimes the seals wear down and can allow a slow leak. And so if it's getting dry, it can WHINE, haven't heard of someone describing any metallic squeal. Can't think of anything else that would produce a squeal with the engine....aside from possibly the U-joint?

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
          Hey Seth,

Well, the clutch is WET, and so I doubt that it's the throwout bearing. When you got the bike, did you change the middle drive oil? Have you checked it's level lately, sometimes the seals wear down and can allow a slow leak. And so if it's getting dry, it can WHINE, haven't heard of someone describing any metallic squeal. Can't think of anything else that would produce a squeal with the engine....aside from possibly the U-joint?

T.C.
          Hmm... well i adjusted my clutch cable just to be sure and it didn't change anything. As for middle drive, i replaced it when i first got her a little over a year ago. Ill check levels tomorrow. And its coming from the front/lower part of the engine. U joint is a little far from there, yes? I'm at a complete loss... maybe a bearing lower in the engine got damaged and is dragging a little...?

Comment

Bad battery, bad 'device' or short circuit overloading the alternator.

Alternator rectifier diodes blown and making the stator windings scream.

Alternator rotor/stator/field coil loose or rubbing.

You should use a mechanic's stethoscope, dowel, or hollow tube to listen for the noise to try and pin it down.

There's not much left on the lower front of the engine but sound locations can be deceptive when you're trying to hold your head next to the engine without sticking your ear to one of the exhaust pipes.
            -- Scott
            _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

It could be air getting sucked in past the carb boot.
              It can sound like a sqeek, a sqeel or even a bird chirping.

Comment

Originally posted by FJ111200 View Post
                It could be air getting sucked in past the carb boot.
                It can sound like a sqeek, a sqeel or even a bird chirping.
                No. She does have a little whistle, but that's not the squeak. Definitely metallic

Comment

The right side fork needs to be adjusted so the rotor is centered in the groove. It's a casting mistake on Special forks. Just loosen the axle pinch bolt and center it up as best you can and retighten.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    The right side fork needs to be adjusted so the rotor is centered in the groove. It's a casting mistake on Special forks. Just loosen the axle pinch bolt and center it up as best you can and retighten.
                    Its not a special...

Comment

How steady is the speedo?
                      Also, you DO need to center the forks/rotors if you did any work on them.
                      Ride for about 5 minutes and then stop using only the REAR brake. Then check the front rotors and see if one or both are hot. They should NOT be really hot, and they SHOULD feel to be about the same temp.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by sethhope View Post
                        Its not a special...
                        My bad. Misread your signature.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Seth Lift the front off the ground and spin the wheel that will quickly eliminate the brakes and lower speedo drive as the source. Disconnect the cable from the back of speedo a very short ride will eliminate that too.
                          3Phase may be on to something in the alternator housing.

Phil
                          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Spinning your wheels to find out if they'll scream is, like, really heavy.

Just start the engine, then don't go anywhere.
                            -- Scott
                            _____

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                              Spinning your wheels to find out if they'll scream is, like, really heavy.

Just start the engine, then don't go anywhere.
                              Haha well i kinda did that. I get the squeak when not moving, so eliminate the wheel, brakes and speedo. I'll listen to the alternator

Comment

Working...
                              X