Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Cleaner Cleaning?

Hey guys,

I just took off my air filter for the first time since purchasing it from the PO. It doesn't look terribly bad to me, but is a bit dirty. I took the filter off and used a compressor to clean the loose stuff off. It looks like this:

Is there any need to replace this? If so, is there a preferred brand? Can it be washed?

Also, I think the pod filters look cool, but I'd imagine they aren't the best idea. Any experience with these? Do they require re-jetting?

Thanks!
    1980 XS1100SG "Charlene"

That is almost brand new!
    Blow air from the screen side and put it back in. The foam tape around the face plates will deteriorate, so be careful with it.
    And if you ever want to get a K&N, I'd be glad to take that one off your hands.

CZ

Comment

Oem

Looks like an old OEM filter. Things start coming apart and get into the mix. New filter is cheap insurance. 30+ year old filter?
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

LakeOber

I had a filter exactly like that one that had been sitting in a box for years. When I tried t install it the foam started crumbling on the top and bottom. I decided to not use it. Don't think they can be washed or lubed without causing restriction in air flow. The best thing to do is go out on fleabay and search for a K&N YA-1400 filter. They usually run anywhere from the low 40s to the mid 50s in price. Nice thing about the K&N is they can actually be washed and reused. Unless you crush them or have some other mishap with them they can virtually last forever. All you have to do is by the recharge kit for them and follow the directions for cleaning them. I always do that in the heat of the summer so I can leave it sitting outside after cleaning so it dries completely before re oiling it. By the way I noticed the other day that Walmart is stocking the recharging kits and sell many K&N filters now. Like Mpittman stated, whether that filter has been in the bike or not it could likely be 30 plus years old and is not worth the risk of having something deteriorate and get sucked into your intake.
        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
        81 LH
        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
          I had a filter exactly like that one that had been sitting in a box for years. When I tried t install it the foam started crumbling on the top and bottom. I decided to not use it. Don't think they can be washed or lubed without causing restriction in air flow. The best thing to do is go out on fleabay and search for a K&N YA-1400 filter. They usually run anywhere from the low 40s to the mid 50s in price. Nice thing about the K&N is they can actually be washed and reused. Unless you crush them or have some other mishap with them they can virtually last forever. All you have to do is by the recharge kit for them and follow the directions for cleaning them. I always do that in the heat of the summer so I can leave it sitting outside after cleaning so it dries completely before re oiling it. By the way I noticed the other day that Walmart is stocking the recharging kits and sell many K&N filters now. Like Mpittman stated, whether that filter has been in the bike or not it could likely be 30 plus years old and is not worth the risk of having something deteriorate and get sucked into your intake.
          Great, I will take a look at the K&N YA-1400. Does anyone else on here use K&Ns? Anyone have experience with the pod filters?
          1980 XS1100SG "Charlene"

Comment

K&n

I've been using K&N air filters in my bikes and cages for about 20 plus years with no ill results. For my DD Ford F150 and our other family vehicles the air filters get cleaned once a year when I do the annual maintainence for state inspection. The bikes not so frequently as they don't get the miles on them.

I also use K&N oil filters in the bikes but this thread is about air and I wouldn't want you to hear a bunch of hot air about oil.
            1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
            1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
            1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
            1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
            1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeOber View Post
              Great, I will take a look at the K&N YA-1400. Does anyone else on here use K&Ns? Anyone have experience with the pod filters?
              Pics of the filter........looks fine to me. Whether using it or new K&N filter, I highly suggest getting a can of PJ1 foam filter oil and spraying inside of filter with it before installation. PJ1 can be purchased at any motorcycle shop retailer.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeOber View Post
                hi LakeOber.
                I use the YA1400. Works great no need to change anything just drops in. There must be thousands of the damn recharge kits that have been used only once or twice. I have two of them
                Someone posted on here about using oxyClean and soda water for the cleaning cycle which worked fine for me, sadly i do not recall the actual procedure but recall I bought two large bottles of soda water and had to go out for a bottle of whisky to go with the second one while I waited for it to dry....overnight.
                Any filter oil that sprays would work fine. If you were closer you could have the few 'sprtiz" it takes from one of mine

Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone! I just went on eBay and picked up a K&N for $40. I'll throw her in and give it a try
                  1980 XS1100SG "Charlene"

Comment

Working...
                  X