Should I buy it? (81 xs11)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dickering

Hay, 454, you have done this before! Good advice, like the part of borrowing your own $ from buddy.
    Ken/Sooke

Comment

When I bought my last bike, I was polite, but brought NADA book values for the bike. For example, the NADA website lists the value for a 1980g standard xs1100 in good condition at $625. For bikes in fair condition, value drops to $250. If you go look at the website you'll get an idea of what constitutes the condition of the bike.

nada website

Of course, to the fellow selling me his bike, my data meant nothing to him. It wasn't such a matter of convincing him it wasn't worth what he was asking, but letting the money talk, and convincing him he didn't want to push it around anymore - politely. Knowledge of bikes helps. I tried to talk a guy down from $1200 on another 79 special a few months ago. He said, "I know I can get that much out of it by selling it to a dumb kid," so he wouldn't take my max offer of $800. Don't be the dumb kid. Just so you're not, check out this motorcycle evaluation guide .

It's always possible that the owner knows the bike can be parted out for a fair amount of cash.

Ben
      1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
      1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
      1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
      1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
      1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
      1982 XS650
      1980 XS1100g
      1979 XS1100sf
      1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

oh ya

Ben also brings up a good point.Be knowledgeable,Don't go talking $hit if he knows whats going on you'll probly end up buying it for 6-700 dollars...just kiding. You'll be alright,Like said earlier the bike is worth 500 if it starts and runs,so any less you pay is in your favor later.
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Argh, I choked when I called. I mentioned $300, fully intending to go up to $400 or so, but he said how he looked at NADA and concluded that even at 500, he is selling it below what he could. After that, I could gone into the things wrong, but I screwed up.

I guess I can always call back and say I'll pay the $500.

Oh well, it is my first neotiation type situation, so I guess it's a learning experience. I feel kinda bad....deep breath and get some sleep...

'81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
          '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Thats fine

Go give him the five and chaulk it up to XSpereance. Now you'll be more knowledgable on the parts bike you have to get to keep the other one running.Or wait a couple weeks,then go at him with 400,if the thing is still there of coarse,dont call on the phone go in person.I don't know where you frm but a guy here in Il. has a crash one for 500 also.Needs very little to make driveable.
            1982 XJ 1100

Comment

insurance

See my previous post which included this link www.bike-line.com/

I have no personal interest in this company other than getting a good price for insurance. Check it out - and go get the bike from the guy before someone else comes along. $500 is still a good deal.

Tom B.

Comment

I'm thinking of calling him tomorrow and offering $400 - one of my main points being that I can get it out of there and off his mind that night. I'm going on a trip for a week, so if he doesn't take it, it won't be hard for me to stay away for a while. Like you said, chevy454, I can call when I get back and see if he'll accept the $400 if it hasn't sold.

So, how can I approach him to go in person again? It seems strange to ask and go again. besides, I live kind of far away.

Comment

far away

Like posted earlier,Your at a disadvantage already! You've spoken or stopped by to many times now. The guy knows you REALLY want the bike so when he see's you coming he will most likly stick to the $500 amount.
                  Here is how i go about it (just remember this back fires sometime) I'm driving by some thing i see for sale. Now i will either stop instantly and look it over read the sign for a number or contact info or price.I'm half assed knowledgeable on things i want to buy (like going rate in my area etc.) Ussualy take down number and go home.Now the decisions start. Is the product i'm looking at worth that much?Do i really need it etc.First decission is do i have the full asking price in cash? Cash is important here.If i think i have to have it thats ok.Lots of things play into this now,The person selling may not need money right now(so tough to get them down on price) If they are hard up for money they WILL deal, if it just got put up for sale chances are they will stay on price for a little while.(you said he went down on price that did work in your favor,I said DID )(past tence) But a few IMPORTANT things to remember,YOU need to talk face to face , not over the phone.Sorry but that is part of the game.And the MOST times you talk to this person should be a MAXIM of three.(lil punn there..lol)first take cash with you,youll be feeling the person out and small chance of leaving with product,Second (not right away maybe up to a week) to talk them down ,THIRD to go back with the full amount wanted in first place to go home with it .ITS all about him supplying and you demanding.Like i said you messed up a little cause this guy knows your hungry for his bike,And hes played the game before.So when you get back from vacation go with the full price in your pocket If the bike is still there offer $400 if no go give up the full price and chalk it up to XSpereance,YOU WILL get better with every deal you do.Sorry bout the long post just trying to help out a bro in need
                  1982 XJ 1100

Comment

just for the update...

well, I got around to thinking about it...what the hell can you get for $500. I suppose something that half runs isn't bad. My old dirtbike was 500, and all though it ran well and was well maintained, it is still an '81.

I haven't called since my trip, and I haven't seen the ad in the paper. I'm guessing that the sale of the bike got put on the back burner. I might call tormoor and offer 400, and I suppose maybe go to 500. After all, I can have a bike for that price.

Kevin

Comment

Hi Kevin,
                      most likely it's sold already but if not pay the $500 & smile.
                      That's $700 Canadian and I happily paid a grand for mine which was in far worse cosmetic & cycle part shape although the power train runs really good.
                      Even if this bike's slow running problems can't be sorted the tank, seat & plastic alone will sell for more than $500 should you part it out.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

BUY IT NOW

I CANT BELEAVE WHAT I AM READING"""
                        $500 AND YOU WANT IT FOR $400
                        IF ITS GONE THEN THATS YOUR PROBLEM FOR BEING TIGHT"""
                        I HAVE JUST GOT A XS1100 MIDNIGHT SPECIAL HERE IN THE UK ITA A 81 AND BOY ARE THEAS RARE HERE
                        IF I COULD ONLY FIND ANY MODEL XS1100 THAT WAS RUNNING ROUGH OR NOT FOR $500 I COULD BECOME A VERY RICH MAN
                        AS THE SAYING GOES
                        HE WHO HESITATES""""
                        ITS NICE TO BE IMPORTANT"
                        BUT MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE"

Comment

i got a basket case for ya

well if thats the case i got a bike in parts for you.82 xj 200 dollars american plus shipping (even got a clean title for it)....lol. I actualy see theese bike for 500-800 quite freqwently around here.Originaly paid 800 for mine 7 years ago.I'll die with this bike in my posestion though.
                          1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Hey, I thought I'd let you know, I just got the bike home for $500! It was about a 30 mile ride, and it was actually running better by the time I got it home.

Now I just gotta change the oil and stuff and maybe check out the spark plugs. Possibly clean the carbs too.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I really thought I missed a good thing, but here I am... My dad was a little upset, but I guess he'll get over it. Especially once I let him ride it.

Kevin

Comment

atta boy

Well i guess i was close on that deal.At least you got a cool bike for a bargin.Where abouts in wis you from? I'm originaly from kenosha(between milwaukee and chicago).Maybe we can hook up for a ride sometime. I can give ya a few more wheel and deal tips.(the master never reveals all his secrets...lol) Anyhoo good luck and have a safe summer.
                              1982 XJ 1100

Comment

My 1978 XS1100E that I got on Ebay for $560 now that it's all painted and restored to me is worth $5,000. But I'm sure it would bring $3,000 and it has 25,000 miles on it. I wouldn't sell it if offered $5,000 for it. You got a deal even if you have to put a grand in it to restore it. Nothing else on the rode that can match it and last 50 years also. XS1100's are the best bike made in the world. Just my opinion.
                                "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Working...
                                X