Hard brake lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard brake lever

What to look for with a rock hard brake lever? Soft means air present somewhere. I don’t know what hard indicates.

I went to braided stainless lines on the front quite a few years ago, at which time the lever firmed up nicely, feeling just right. The bike has only been ridden down the road, just a couple miles, once or twice a year for the last 7 or 8 years.

There is now virtually no movement in the brake lever. The front brakes do stop, and they do release, but the lever barely squeezes.

Ideas please? Thanks
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Frozen caliper(s).

'Stuff' in the brake line or union.

The system still had air in it and the bubbles finally made the journey up to the master cylinder and out into the reservoir through the spooge hole.

There is a block of wood under the brake lever.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

It could be that the adjusting screw on the lever has been screwed in too far and is just about touching the m/c piston.

Comment

I have to agree with 3Phases second response statement. With that, I would remove fill cap and re-bleed those front brakes Dean. Just be sure and cover that tank with a clean rag or towel.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Maybe the lever is frozen itself on it's pivot bolt.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
            The bike has only been ridden down the road, just a couple miles, once or twice a year for the last 7 or 8 years.

There is now virtually no movement in the brake lever. The front brakes do stop, and they do release, but the lever barely squeezes.

Ideas please? Thanks
            Howdy Dean,
            If you haven't flushed that brake fluid in 7 years then you likely have some rust and crud on the parts in the brake master.

and as already mentioned, likely (if fluid hasn't been flushed) maybe crud on the caliper piston, or the stuck pivot bolt or the in too far set screw.
            Maybe you will get lucky with a fluid flush but I'd be safe and clean the caliper piston and the master.
            You sure don't want 'auto brake' going on as heat builds up during a ride -or- a 'no brake' experience.

Jeff
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Good advice Jeff. I tend to forget you and Dean, even though he's in upstate New York have the fairly constant humidity factor that here in my location doesn't.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Humidity-schumidity, I'm still bettin' on the block of wood under the lever.
                -- Scott
                _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

......definitely the easiest place to start.

Comment

Brake fluid should be replaced every two years.

Screw it! I'm going for a ride.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

yep, I suppose some routine TLC is in order. The ST's always get that. The XS not so much.
                      Still looks good though.

As soon as I get a few bottles of brake fluid, I'll start there, before taking stuff apart.
                      80 SG
                      81 SH in parts
                      99 ST1100
                      91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
                        yep, I suppose some routine TLC is in order. The ST's always get that. The XS not so much.
                        Still looks good though.

As soon as I get a few bottles of brake fluid, I'll start there, before taking stuff apart.
                        IMHO you'll be wasting your time and brake fluid. As JeffH stated, I'll second a dismantle from top to bottom if you value your life or anyone or thing that may bring you to a halt when the brakes fail.
                        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Dean, sit down by the front wheel and take a close look at the front calipers while you work the brake lever to see if one caliper is working and releasing normally and the other is slow, sticking, or not moving.

The calipers can be difficult to take apart and clean and a slow, sticky, one even more so without mangling the piston. Anyway, slow or not, pick a caliper and remove the brake pads on it first, then use the brake lever to pump out the piston as you add brake fluid to the master cylinder so it doesn't empty out and suck air.

When the first piston is almost all the way out, the lever will suddenly pull to the handlebar. Push the piston back in a little and block it with a piece of plywood so it can't come out, then pull the pads on the second caliper and use the master cylinder again to pump out its piston.

Once both pistons have been pumped almost all the way out they should be easy to take apart without scarring them with channel lock pliers and vice grips, shooting them across the garage with compressed air, or making a mess with a grease gun.
                          -- Scott
                          _____

Comment

My brake lines may be 37 years old. It could be time for new ones.
                            80 G

Comment

Originally posted by speedlimit85 View Post
                              My brake lines may be 37 years old. It could be time for new ones.
                              The factory service manual says to replace the lines every four years. So, yes, they're due.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X