Crankshaft bearing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
    The blue will give a tighter clearance, and need a break in of about 500 miles. the flip side is they should be good for 150K miles. Blacks should go in and not have problems as well, but you MIGHT notice low oil pressure at idle after about 80K miles. I did an engine and plasti-gauged the bearings to be sure I had the correct clearance. I also had a complete set of bearings to choose from, so it was easy. The difference between blue and black is very small, so either one will work.
    Thank alot Ray. I appreciate it.
    80 SG

Comment

Artefac, we've done this before; Ray's done it, the Brit's had a thread over on xs1100.com where they thrashed it to death measuring the shells; I've done it and measured a service set with different color shells just to make sure I could fit a used, undamaged, crankshaft into my '80G case without too much $drama.

You can use any color you like, there's not a fine frog hair of difference between the colors, maybe baby's breath on a mirror. They're sized and sorted for new parts in new engines that've never fired a cylinder.

If you were even close to original spec you might have to worry but you have 0.0762mm (0.003") on the mains and that's 0.032mm (0.0013") too big.

The main bearing oil clearance is 0.022~0.044mm (0.0009~0.0017").

Rod clearance is 0.032~0.054mm (0.0013~0.0021").

Crank runout limit is 0.04mm (0.0016")

I still have the pictures for my thread from back in April, 2009 but I have not gotten around to updating it since I closed my Flickr account. Maybe this afternoon:-

Oil Gallery Blocked, Damaged Case and Main Bearings (pictures)
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
        Artefac, we've done this before; Ray's done it, the Brit's had a thread over on xs1100.com where they thrashed it to death measuring the shells; I've done it and measured a service set with different color shells just to make sure I could fit a used, undamaged, crankshaft into my '80G case without too much $drama.

You can use any color you like, there's not a fine frog hair of difference between the colors, maybe baby's breath on a mirror. They're sized and sorted for new parts in new engines that've never fired a cylinder.

If you were even close to original spec you might have to worry but you have 0.0762mm (0.003") on the mains and that's 0.032mm (0.0013") too big.

The main bearing oil clearance is 0.022~0.044mm (0.0009~0.0017").

Rod clearance is 0.032~0.054mm (0.0013~0.0021").

Crank runout limit is 0.04mm (0.0016")

I still have the pictures for my thread from back in April, 2009 but I have not gotten around to updating it since I closed my Flickr account. Maybe this afternoon:-

Oil Gallery Blocked, Damaged Case and Main Bearings (pictures)
        Thanks 3Phase, I just bought the blue shells kit. It's just my first motorcycle rebuilt and, I want to do it the right way the first time (but it takes forever, i've worked on this bike for a year now). Thanks everybody.
        80 SG

Comment

Working...
        X