X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankshaft bearing question

Hi everyone, I'm new here but, I've been checking this site for a while
    And their is alot of good info here.
    I platiguaged my crankshaft and, I have a 0.003" gap so, I have to change the bearing halves. I can see the numbers punched on the crank but, I cant find
    the ones on the casing. I have read that I should buy the blue ones because
    my crank is probably worn a little ( 34000 miles).
    Can someone help me to find those numbers or should I buy the blue bearings
    Right aways?

Thanks guys
    80 SG

Found this in the Clymers manual if it helps.....

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I fixed that in photobucket but the bucket sucks anymore. It's nearly unusable.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

tried again but it still shows up sideways
        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          tried again but it still shows up sideways
          Hi Greg,
          Looks fine to me at 9:30. text is readable. ofcourse it would be easier, for me, to understand if the illustrations were included.

Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
            Hi Greg,
            Looks fine to me at 9:30. text is readable. ofcourse it would be easier, for me, to understand if the illustrations were included.

Phil
            If you knew what kind of crap I had to go through just to get that pic up you wouldn't say that. Took me like 15 minutes to get photobucket to work well enough to post a crooked pic. I'm pretty much done jacking with them.

Need to find another host or just quit posting pics.
            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I checked there. I'll look again. Maybe i'm going blind.
              80 SG

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                If you knew what kind of crap I had to go through just to get that pic up you wouldn't say that. Took me like 15 minutes to get photobucket to work well enough to post a crooked pic. I'm pretty much done jacking with them.

Need to find another host or just quit posting pics.
                Hi Greg,
                Totally understand. Photobucket has become a real PITA. Let us know when you find a better site. I have stopped adding anything to my photobucket account.

Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

BA80, Thanks for the extra effort there!.....pic comes up fine here.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thank you guys, it helped alot. I was successful in finding my numbers.
                    So the crank are all 2'dand the casing are all 4's. 4-2 =2 so, black bearings
                    across the board. Should I buy the black ones or, the blue one to compensate
                    the slight hypothetical wear of the crankshaft journal over the years? On the other hand, I cannot see any kind of wear on those.

Thanks
                    80 SG

Comment

Take the blue pill.

Replacing Main bearings - any ideas?
                      -- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                        Really?? I understand the joke but, should I really chose the blue ones? My crank journals are all 35,98mm.
                        80 SG

Comment

Yes, go with the BLUE bearings. These engines have gone over 200K miles on stock parts. The engines will go through almost anything and still work because Yamaha overbuilt them. Back in the late 70's, RC Engineering had a '78 XS11 that they used to drag race. They did NOT pull the cranks/bearings all season! Most of the time, drag racers replace bearings every week. Think about it...
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                            Yes, go with the BLUE bearings. These engines have gone over 200K miles on stock parts. The engines will go through almost anything and still work because Yamaha overbuilt them. Back in the late 70's, RC Engineering had a '78 XS11 that they used to drag race. They did NOT pull the cranks/bearings all season! Most of the time, drag racers replace bearings every week. Think about it...
                            Ok but according to what you said, I should go with the BLACK bearings. Those are the ones I'm supposed to buy according to the numbers on my crank and casing. If I understand correctly your point, you are saying that the engine components are tough and will not wear much.
                            I was only referring to the blue ones because some people here recommended it but, I don't see the logic in using them if the crank journals don't get any wear (these are much harder them the bearing halves.
                            80 SG

Comment

The blue will give a tighter clearance, and need a break in of about 500 miles. the flip side is they should be good for 150K miles. Blacks should go in and not have problems as well, but you MIGHT notice low oil pressure at idle after about 80K miles. I did an engine and plasti-gauged the bearings to be sure I had the correct clearance. I also had a complete set of bearings to choose from, so it was easy. The difference between blue and black is very small, so either one will work.
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X