Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aftermarket Headlight? Anybody buy LED or HID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket Headlight? Anybody buy LED or HID?

Was wanting to uograde my headlight. I feel like night riding is really giving me anxiety just because i cant see as much as i would like. Has anybody bought headlights from amazon or ebay. Looking for the same round headlight. I think its 7 inch. But want to upgrade the light and reflectors. My car has HID's and its amazing at night.

any suggestions?

Last edited by adelii; 03-22-2017, 05:10 PM.
    79 SF

Truck-Lite LED, or JW Speaker 7" round. Get some LED flood lights as-well, and mount them low on the forks to illuminate what's directly in-front of you. The LED headlight won't cut it by itself.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

You have a part number for that trucklite you have? ease of install?
      79 SF

Comment

Hey Adelli,

I have bought and installed a HI POWER H9004 LED bulb in my OEM Special headlight, it has a NEW aftermarket clear lens/reflector housing, but the bulb fits in it just fine, and provides quite a bit more light than an OEM Halogen, and is equivalent or better to the Modded HID projector that I had put in it a couple of years ago.

Here's the eBay search criteria I used. This is for a PAIR, so 6000 lumen per bulb! Chose one with built in FAN vs. just ribbon heatsinks.
        120W 12000LM 4-Sided LED Headlight Kit H4

Also, had bought and installed other AUX LED driving lights from superbrightleds.com

Here's the page at the end of the HID mod thread showing the LEDS.
        http://www.xs11.com/forum/showpost.p...7&postcount=93

Then this last year, I also added a pair of 6" single row rectangle LED bars mounted down on the front forks for even more visibility, as well as being SEEN by other vehicles, I just checked the eBay seller/store I got them from, but they don't have them anymore, but there are a bunch of other sellers with them, here's the search criteria!

2PC 6inch 18W LED Work Light Bar

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Nice headlights

I ran across another option for aftermarket LED lights on the XJ forum:-

https://youngstown.craigslist.org/mpo/6018169928.html

I haven't bought anything from them yet but there's a pair of 4.5" LED passing lights for $80 that looks like it'd go with my Trucklite headlight.
          -- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by adelii View Post
            You have a part number for that trucklite you have? ease of install?
            I have a Standard, so my part number would not help you. It's an easy Google search.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I've got a KC led in my fairing. I'm very pleased with the light output, and performance in this bike. However, a fella I know put the exact same light in a fixed better and HATED it. Because of the extremely sharp cutoffs from the led housing compared to the bleed you get from an h4 housing there were issues when slow speed cornering. I don't have that issue as the light follows the bars.

79 F

Comment

Originally posted by Dbshea View Post
                I've got a KC led in my fairing. I'm very pleased with the light output, and performance in this bike. However, a fella I know put the exact same light in a fixed better and HATED it. Because of the extremely sharp cutoffs from the led housing compared to the bleed you get from an h4 housing there were issues when slow speed cornering. I don't have that issue as the light follows the bars.

Yup. That cut-off is what made me get LED fogs mounted low. Awesome light output!
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by Dbshea View Post
                  I like that faring. Nice!
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                  X