XS11 History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS11 History

I am in the process of puttting together a video history of the XS11. I could use the members help to answer a couple questions I have. I have the list of all the model numbers, but to be sure, 1. the midnight special XS1100LG , and XS1100LH were only made only in 1980 and 1981, yes? 2. Is there any difference between the two years of Midnight Special where you could tell one year from another? 3. Slotted disc brakes means 1980 or later. 4. 1981 is the only year there was a little slash on the side covers under eleven special? 5. The 1981 XS1100H Venturer was the only model that came stock with a oil cooler? 6. In 1979 the XS1100SF Special comes in "Black Gold" from the factory. Is that just Black?
    Further I need help telling the difference between, 1978 "Macho Maroon" ,1979 "Magenta Red" , 1980 "New Ruby Red" , there is a color on the 1980 special listed as "Black Red" what is that? , the 1981 special lists "Black Blue" is that like the "Indigo Blue" on the Venturer?
    You see my problem, so I am asking anyone that would like to help me I need good quality pictures of stock bikes of every year of the XS11. Some years are pretty easy others have been harder. If you want to contribute you can e-mail them to me at mcmotohistory@gmail.com Really looking for all years but a clean stock Venturer has been really hard to find, so send those pics and I post the whole thing back to this website when I'm done.
    81H Venturer

Mns

A very noticeable difference in the midnights:
    The 80 LG has wheels with straight spokes.
    The 81 LH has wheels with curved/swirly spokes.
    Bob's Bikes:
    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
    "
    Project XS11"
    "Rucksack Grunt"
    "Small Unit Leadership"
    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
    For Sale Here.

Comment

I love your army bike. good work!
      81H Venturer

Comment

Originally posted by mcmotohistory View Post
        I love your army bike. good work!
        Thank You!
        Bob's Bikes:
        79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
        https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
        https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
        "
        Project XS11"
        "Rucksack Grunt"
        "Small Unit Leadership"
        "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
        For Sale Here.

Comment

I think the black red, black blue and black gold are black paints with that particular color of metallic flake.
          81 SH Something Special
          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

Slotted disc brakes means 1980 or later
            With the exception of 80 Standard (80G) had solid rotors.
            Last edited by bikerphil; 03-14-2017, 07:50 AM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Aluminum Grab Bar

I think one of the most distinctive changes along the way was the cast aluminum grab bar on the Specials, starting in 1980 - in place of the chrome plated tubing in previous years.
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Hey McMoto,

Not sure if you've found this section, but we have a few articles and photos of stock bikes in this part of the site. Well, actually this is just the Adverts/Brochures.

http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/ads-brochures

But if you go to the menu bar at the top of the page, click on XS11INFO, it'll drop down, there you will find the Articles section as well.

As was stated, the 81LH has swirly spoked wheels. There are other Subtle changes, the LH was the step before going to the XJ, and so they started incorporating some of the XJ changes into it....like the swirly spokes, the front brake calipers are different, and it has the linked system....left front caliper with the right rear, the front master cylinder only drives the right front caliper.

There were considerable technical changes throughout the years of the XS11 to the XJ11. BTW, the XJ11 was made/sold 83-84 for Canada. Of course the XJ has a lot more electronics, the dash board, with more safety interlocks, clutch, sidestand, and gear position. It used OIL LEVEL and battery water level sensors instead of Oil Pressure sensor. Yamaha added 4 way emergency flashers in 80.

The ignition system was changed in 81 to incorporate the Cent. Adv. curves into the TCI/black box. In 82, the Vac. Adv. curves were also incorporated/programmed into the TCI. The carbs were changed in 80 with larger vac. slides, plastic floats, different float valve needles/seats. The float vents were incorporated into the inlet bell instead of on the side of the carb body. The Pilot idle screw was smaller and placed inside a tunnel on the front top of the carb body.

The Standards have fuel gauges and actual float/sender units. The Special use just a Thermistor sensor and low level idiot light. The standards have the boxier tanks, rectangular gauges, headlight, turn signals, recessed/flush gas cap. The front axle is just on the end of the forks, and the rear wheel is 17", the mufflers are straight and longer sticking out past the rear axle, but they had ROUND mirrors? Also lower more Universal shaped handlebars.

The Specials have the tear drop tanks, raised cap, ROUND headlight, turn signals, gauges, but rectangular mirrors, front axle is mounted on front edge of slider, and has a 16" rear wheel, the mufflers slanted upwards a bit and were shorter. The handlebars were made more like ape hangers, affectionately called BUCKHORNS, and so the front MC is more slanted to function at that angle vs. the standards.

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

79 specials.

I have both 79 Special colors. Carmine Red is one color (no metalic) . The other color is Black Gold ( has a very fine gold speckle in the paint. These are one year only colors also.
                  79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
                  85 Honda v65 Magna
                  70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
                  02 Road King (retirement gift)
                  First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

XS1100 history link

Hey mcmoto. Looking forward to viewing the video. Here is a link to model history on our UK site. Hope it helps

Rob

http://www.xs1100.co.uk/history.htm
                    Rob
                    XS Eleven SF
                    Could this be the finest Triumph Bonneville ever built ?
                    (Cycle January 1979)

Comment

1980 XS1100LG

1981 XS1100LH

1980 XS1100G with tour pack

New ruby red

1981 XS1100H Venturer

1979 XS1100F Majenta Red

XS1100SF Carmine Red

XS1100SF Black gold was black with tiny gold flecks in the paint.
                      XS1100SG Black red was black with tiny red flecks in the paint.
                      XS1100SH Black blue was black with tiny blue flecks in the paint.

XS1100SH

1978 XS1100E Macho Maroon

1980 XS1100SG New Ruby Red

If you want to see these things up close and in one place, you need to come to XS Southeast in September.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

photo op

Thanks for the pic of my 79 carmine red SF Marty. Looks even better now with a new chrome grab bar.
                        Vance (vedgar)
                        79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
                        85 Honda v65 Magna
                        70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
                        02 Road King (retirement gift)
                        First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

Pics

Thanks for all the info Jet
                          81H Venturer

Comment

Are you interested in ALL XS1100 history or just US market?
                            Tom
                            1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                            1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                            1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                            1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
                            X