took the plunge and find im drowning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• took the plunge and find im drowning

OK so after much thought and even the gracious offer or another member I decided that i would tackle the second gear issue myself. I coud not of made a bigger mistake, ive gotten it all apat using the instructions provided by other members but can not get the gear out . yes its in fourth gear( at least i put it into fourth before i began). The shift fork just doesnt clear the gears to allow it to slide out, ive spent the last 24 hours trying everything to get that gear to come out without success. Im now in agony and no closer that i can see to getting that gear out. I went with the hoisting the bike method versus the flipping method as i did not have any help to do it that way and had a way to hoist it Im so over it at this point almost ready to give up reassemble it and just wait until the weather is warm enough to go take it to the member who made the offer in the first place. That will require me to say i cant do it and that is the hardest thing for me to do so i thought i would seek assistance here first.
    79 xs 750, 81 xs 850( custom ), 81 xv 750; 80 G XS11 Standard

If you can post pictures of the position of everything it may help us understand exactly what you are dealing with.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Doing it with bike upright(I'm sure there's dissagrement) was how I did mine several yrs. back, and with gravity helping to correctly place shift forks, made it easy. Besides, I just couldn't see removing fairing and that whole factory tour-pac in order to do the work. Hopefully you removed the left sidecover and removed that shaft retainer plate and removed out the side that smaller gear first. If so, the shift forks will just basicly fall out.....then you can slide the shaft(it only moves horizontally a couple millimeters) towards left and it drops out. Sounds like from your frustration, definite help will be needed going back together though.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I will take some pictures to post and moto im beginning to think your right hich is why i debating just putting together now and waiting until i can get to Ba80 place for his help.

Comment

Recruiting some help is probably the best way to go, but here is what I have found after experiencing the many hours of struggle and frustration with the exact problem that you are having.

With 5th gear out, we tend to want to pull the gear assy out from the 5th / 2nd gear side first. This won’t work because it cocks the shaft ass'y and the middle drive gear (on the opposite side) has a lip that will not clear. It is counter intuitive but if you push in on the 5th/2nd gear side, the ass'y cocks in a way to allow the middle drive gear to clear the lip and then try removing the tighter middle drive gear side first.

Sorry if that sounds totally confusing, but the point I am trying to make is that you have to get the middle drive gear side of the gear ass'y to start to come out first.

Reading this write up from Ken Talbot should make it a lot clearer and really help a lot.

http://www.rctvonline.net/~xs11/seco...addendum4.html
          Last edited by Ranger_xs1100; 03-14-2017, 01:23 AM.
          Bob's Bikes:
          79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
          https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
          https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
          "
          Project XS11"
          "Rucksack Grunt"
          "Small Unit Leadership"
          "Jean's Heroic Journey"

Bob's Parts:
          For Sale Here.

Comment

First time I did it I was ready to light it on fire. Then, as if magic, it popped out... Good luck
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

Going back in with shaft assembly can give you the same issue.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Fellas I appreciate everyone's input, I decided the best course of action for me was to step away, let my pain subside, and clear my head. When I returned I simply pulled the oil pump and the thing just about fell out on it's own. I've grinded the dog ears on all the gears I could and their corresponding gears and I've taken another break before returning to the bike in the morning to reassemble it hopefully correctly. The only issue I'm concerned with is the correct procedure involved in doing that. The way the shift pawl interlocks with the shifting lever also is a point of concern all if this is due to my terrible memory these days but I have high hopes and a positive mental attitude that some time tomorrow afternoon she'll be back to road worthy. I have another concern regarding gas millage and to end speed but I I'm gonna start another post to address those issues. I'll let you guys know how things go.

Comment

Ok I've put the bike back together after making the suggested repairs to the gear set, checked ave the bike shifted through gear range, put clutch back in then put the shift pawl and shifter back in and tightened everything down added oil then went to put in into neutral to start it and....won't shift more than one gear that's it. Took the cover off and tried to shift it and nothing it's like I have only two gears. Have out it back on the lift and walked away learning my lesson from my first attempt that frustration only fuels failure and wanting to avoid failing just walked away to cool off and seek advice. I'm sorry I meant to take pics fit a reference as done have stated but forgot, the bike is at my buddies house avg he doesn't have internet or even cell service where he lives so I have to come home to g get online and that's why I have no pics.

Comment

Check the trans section of repair, and VERIFY that the shift pawl, star plate, and spring are all good and adjusted correctly. It sounds like it may just be an adjustment, but I don't know what you did when it all went back together.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

If I've over tightened the clutch pressure plate could that cause it to not shift.?

Comment

Originally posted by BhamminXS View Post
                        If I've over tightened the clutch pressure plate could that cause it to not shift.?
                        No, but you would stretch/break the bolts. Those most definitely need to be torqued properly.

It sounds like you may have the shift mechanism out of time, or the return spring installed improperly, assuming all the pins are in the shift drum.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

trbig has some great pics for the shift drum pins and the star. Also on lining up the shift mechanism to get it in time.

They are in a post several years back but I can't find it. I have them saved in photobucket but it's so jacked I got frustrated looking for them.

Sorry.
                          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                            trbig has some great pics for the shift drum pins and the star. Also on lining up the shift mechanism to get it in time.

They are in a post several years back but I can't find it. I have them saved in photobucket but it's so jacked I got frustrated looking for them.

Sorry.
                            here ya go:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35429

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36324

Bob's Bikes:
                            79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                            https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                            https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                            "
                            Project XS11"
                            "Rucksack Grunt"
                            "Small Unit Leadership"
                            "Jean's Heroic Journey"

Bob's Parts:
                            For Sale Here.

Comment

That's it Ranger. Thanks.

The second set is what I was looking for.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X