simplifying my 82's electrical system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simplifying my 82's electrical system

restoring my first bike, an 82 XJ1100 Maxim.

I've restored many cars in my time but never a bike.

Well damn if Yamaha didn't enjoy running miles of wire inside these bikes.

Can anyone point me in the direction of bare bones wring diagram.

Just enough to make the bike run properly without all the extra crap involved.

I don't care about the sensors and gauges in the head unit above the key tumbler. I'm taking that off since mine is trashed and simply putting a 3 or 4 gauge cluster. (I assume that's what most of the excess wires are connecting to)

But there of course will be must haves, headlights and turn signals, ignition to starter, starter and ignition to fuel pump. etc.

and being a true hypocrite now...I would also like to get rid of the choke and run an electronic ignition system. is there a how to somewhere for that as well.

Love the bike and can't wait to get that monster on the pavement this summer.
    82 XJ11

The XJ's wiring is more complex than the XS as the XJ had things like the digital readout instrument cluster, side-stand down interlock (prevent you from riding off with the side stand down) and a few other differences, such as an oil level sensor instead of an oil pressure sensor. There are no Hayes or other after-market manuals for the XJ. Best if you can get a factory shop manual but I don't know if they are still available from Yamaha. Cost used to be around $40.00 or so.

I do have the shop manual on CD (courtesy of a list member) someplace in my library. If you send me a pm along with your address I will make a copy of the cd and send it to you. I will check but believe the manual includes a wiring schematic.

An XS manual won't do you much good in terms of a wiring diagram since many of the systems are quite different: The XJ's linked braking system and air-adjustable front and rear suspension along with a brush-style alternator (where the XS uses a brushless design) and the XJ's additional brake fluid level sensors all make having an XJ-specific manual a better way to go. Throw in the battery level sensor and the clutch lever switch (part of the side stand interlock system) and you can get a bit confused as to what part does what.

The good thing is that many of the systems can be bypassed or removed without much trouble. For example, if you have a battery without the sensor probe a resistor can be substituted which will turn off the warning light. The side stand wiring can be bypassed (which removes the safety function) by putting in a jumper. (The side stand switch is a common point of failure and is no longer available from Yamaha.) Best if you ask a specific question here on the list and people will respond with how they worked around or eliminated a specific problem.

BTW, the XJ's ignition system is all electronic already. No pickup-system as used on the XS. The XJ uses a specific ignition module and incorporated a "boost sensor" that acts as a vacuum advance input.
    Last edited by Jerry; 03-03-2017, 10:57 AM.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Jerry beat me to it!

Wow, you have some work and a lot of decisions ahead of you.

I haven't seen a simplified schematic for the XJ1100 and I haven't gotten around to making my own color schematic for my XJ -- yet. If you're losing the Atari cockpit and going with aftermarket instruments and lighting then I'd say follow the directions that should be in the box for whatever you're buying.

Frankly, the XJ1100 charging and ignition system are both solid and reliable pieces of work and really should be left as-is, try not to mess with them.

If you just can't help it....

The XJ1100 and XS1100 both use an electrical charging system that's virtually identical to the old Chrysler "Type B" system but with an external diode rectifier bridge for the alternator instead of internal diodes. The Regulator/Rectifier is mounted on the frame under the fuel tank and it regulates the alternator output voltage and rectifies the 3-phase AC output to DC.

The XJ's ignition uses a one-of-a-kind TCI (Transistor Controlled Ignition) that was only made for the XJ1100. The TCI has the engine RPM ignition advance curves programmed into the controller so it doesn't use a mechanical/centrifugal advance. There's a vacuum sensor mounted on the frame that uses ported vacuum from the #2 carburetor to switch between the TCI's built-in engine load/vacuum advance timing curves so it doesn't use a vacuum advance either.

You can swap the XJ's superior but rare and expensive TCI and ignition pick-up coils for the older XS1100 ignition with the mechanical RPM advance and vacuum advance. The ignition systems are interchangeable from 1978 to 1980 and will bolt on.

Aaron Berg's XJ Electrical FAQ
      http://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/xj...tem-faq.21720/

XJ1100 Owner's Manual PDF
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B24...ew?usp=sharing
      https://1drv.ms/b/s!AlA_igDQ6LzjgYJEeuVUHIaY91U_PQ

XJ1100 Service Manual
      https://1drv.ms/b/s!AlA_igDQ6Lzjgi8Qnge9kGtyxbaS

XJ1100 (10M) Parts
      https://1drv.ms/b/s!AlA_igDQ6LzjgYFgS5V7klvtisQW6g

XJ1100 TCI Connector

XJ1100 Basic Wiring Diagram

XJ1100 Full Wiring Diagram
      Last edited by 3Phase; 03-03-2017, 12:34 PM. Reason: Too slow again
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

RX-2N Replica SS182

Me too...My original '82 Yamaha XJ1100 instrument cluster took a slow and graceful death. I purchased a KOSO RX-2N Replica SS182 off ebay for $49 (the real KOSO instrument cluster is $300+, too much for my requirements.). I'll complete the XJ swap out and installation soon and will provide a write up. You're right, there are a lot of extra wires. I can help you sort through the wiring maze, but we should start with a phone call; there's too much to say on this thread. My Cell number is 713-306-3494. Stan H.
        '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
        Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
        '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
        Stan Hutchison

Comment

My XJ1100 master interlock relay failed and stranded me last year on an all-day ride.

It took me a while to track down the problem in my garage.

Bypassing the relay fixed the problem. I have not yet begun work on replacing the master interlock relay.
          82 XJ1100 - sold
          96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
          2000 ZRX1100 - sold
          2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

Working...
          X