Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring start up - how's she sound?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kK...xDP0_AWa7CU3aQ
    '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
    '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
    '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Not running on all four, is how it sounds . . .
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Interesting

Wish I had a near for it like that. Didn't sound quite right to me, but wasn't sure.

I propably should have made one after the ride. The motor was warmed up for the video, but it might explain why after running a bit the idle goes up to 13- 1400 when initially settles at 900 after apparent warm up.
      '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
      '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
      '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Yeah. Riding them long enough, u have a knack for what 4 sounds like, vs. 3, or what 3 sounds like, vs. 2 (Yamaha Triple issue).

I'll probably pull the carbs back off in the Spring and give them a good blow-out with an air nozzle, despite them being dry at the moment.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
          Yeah. Riding them long enough, u have a knack for what 4 sounds like, vs. 3, or what 3 sounds like, vs. 2 (Yamaha Triple issue).

I'll probably pull the carbs back off in the Spring and give them a good blow-out with an air nozzle, despite them being dry at the moment.
          Wouldn't blow them out with an air nozzle. I suggest pulling the float bowls and floats and using Berrymans arosol carb cleaner with the plastic nozzle stuck in end of can nozzle.....way better option. And wear safety glasses of some sort as that Berrymn spray hitting eyes feels like eyes got drove to back of head!
          Last edited by motoman; 02-23-2017, 04:40 PM.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            Wouldn't blow them out with an air nozzle. I suggest pulling the float bowls and floats and using Berrymans arosol carb cleaner with the plastic nozzle stuck in end of can nozzle.....way better option. And wear safety glasses of some sort as that Berrymn spray hitting eyes feels like eyes got drove to back of head!
            Sorry, shoulda been more clear Brant. I pull all the jets, floats, etc out, soak 'em in Berryman's, and then proceed to blow the carb passages out with an air nozzle.
            1979 XS1100F

Comment

I like to flush out the tiny orifices with carb cleaner spray and then blow air through them (although probably not really necessary).
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                Sorry, shoulda been more clear Brant. I pull all the jets, floats, etc out, soak 'em in Berryman's, and then proceed to blow the carb passages out with an air nozzle.
                Gotcha'. The pilot jets, if you got a magnifying glass, look closely inside them. Reason being, teeny pieces of sludge can easily get trapped down inside. Just blowing them out after cleaning sometimes doesn't quite work. If you'll look inside them with a magnifying glass, you'll see that the inside is swelled out larger than the opening. Have seen many a time a teeny piece of dark colored sludge traped inside...and air nozzle will NOT remove it. Straighten out portion of a paper clip, stick down in there and fish it out, then blow it clean. The least tinyest thing WILL plug that pilot jet as that atomizing orfice on other end of pilot jet is so tiny you can't even blow air thru it to clean anything out. Use a magnifying glass and good light.....you'll then see how their made internally.
                Last edited by motoman; 02-23-2017, 08:41 PM.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

dont do carb work yet.

See which pipe is cold and clean or replace the spark plug first. sometimes a wee plug goes south.
                  79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
                  85 Honda v65 Magna
                  70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
                  02 Road King (retirement gift)
                  First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

Working...
                  X