Electrical Problems, part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Problems, part 2

Only a week or so after getting the bike running well by fixing a bad ground, I've got another issue.

All of a sudden, the current to the headlight is weak. Also, the blinkers, and the blinker indicators on the dash, glow faintly when the engine is running. So does the High Beam indicator. When I put on the blinker for left or right, both sides blink and the headlight blinks as well.

The headlight module was bypassed about a year or so ago to install a Trucklite LED headlamp.

Anybody have any ideas before I tear into it?

Originally posted by sthomag View Post
    Only a week or so after getting the bike running well by fixing a bad ground, I've got another issue.

All of a sudden, the current to the headlight is weak. Also, the blinkers, and the blinker indicators on the dash, glow faintly when the engine is running. So does the High Beam indicator. When I put on the blinker for left or right, both sides blink and the headlight blinks as well.

The headlight module was bypassed about a year or so ago to install a Trucklite LED headlamp.

Anybody have any ideas before I tear into it?
    Start with the left-hand handlebar switch, it may be shorted inside or the wires in the harness plugs could be melted. Just unplug both of the harness connectors for the switch and see if any lights come on except the Instrument lights when you turn on the ignition and start the engine.

The Headlight RLU has nothing to do with the turn signals or indicators but double check the bypass wiring that was done for the LED headlight and make sure it's still in good condition.

Where you go from there depends on the year/model of your XS11 but looking at your Profile, a 1979 XS11E would have more problems with improbability than electronics.

Look at the serial number on the frame head to see if you have a '78 E, a '79 F or SF Special. The '79 Special is a different animal but The E and F Standard wiring harnesses are similar with the '78 E having a headlight switch on the right-hand handlebar switch.

Here's a blurry picture of a 1978 XS1100E right-hand switch 1T5-83963-01-98 from the forum of our friends across the water:

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Ground(s)

Another thought: Check all the Ground wires again.

If one of the grounds is bad or broken then the lights will all act as grounds for one another and they'll all glow or light up at the same time.
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Any time I have any trouble with blinkers, it doesn't matter if it the 11 or if it's a trailer, it's grounds. But that's just me.
        79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
        79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
          Another thought: Check all the Ground wires again.

If one of the grounds is bad or broken then the lights will all act as grounds for one another and they'll all glow or light up at the same time.
          Excellent tip. Instead of trying to find the bad connection, I made a new ground connection to the frame and spliced it in to the front blinker ground. Bingo!

Comment

Working...
          X