Hello, and this is my Xs11 aka: Project Dedsec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, and this is my Xs11 aka: Project Dedsec

First let me start off by saying hello, of course like many here I have jumped into this forum after picking up an 81 xs1100 special.
    Formalities aside here's the skinny.

I run a small youtube channel where the idea to build a bike themed off a video game (watch dogs 2) that got me my start all came to this.
    I've been a gear head for a long time having built race cars to weird cars but never a bike.

Some examples of why the colors are the way they are

Browsing around good ole craigslist one day I stumbled upon a painfully yellow bike and saw so much potential...

So it began.

The P.O. had done the piston rings but "The timing may be off"
    for $450 I was willing to run the risk of a motor rebuild...

Loaded up and we shipped the big ugly bird home.

She looks "Pretty" but believe me that paint had to GO, among many other things...

So we took her apart and fixed up the timing (off a tooth) and the pickups were bad so I swapped them for a spare set it came with.

While the tank was off for an acid bath I tried out some new bars and controls. I'll explain the colors later on

Got the tank back to discover she wasn't as "pretty" as we thought obviously someone got agro and punched the tank or had one hell of a heavy helmet...

So while I waited to get back to the tank as I knew I had work cut out for me being a former body tech I played with the bars some more as well as general crap you do with a 30+ yr old bike...

So I have been super tied up but was able to pull away today and start wiring up the Motogadget M-unit that will be providing all the new power tot he bike as well as eliminating the need for fuses and relays

A few other goodies going into the project
    Motogadget Motoscope Pro

Motogadget M-Lock Wireless key fob system

And Some friggin laser brakes, because lasers. (goes with the theme)

Then we caught her on fire... the bike IV was not made for the XS cabs and so loose fittings and back fire = LOL
    We caught it in time and hosed her off so as not to corrode the piss out of everything with the suppressant
    VIDEO (NO SHAME)

So I had a pair of clip-ons donated by a friend and finally liked how the bike was looking... so I cut off her tail.

The rear seat will (pardon my MS paint skills) be designed with LED turn signals and brake light built into each pixel notch.

Today 2-7-17 I mounted the headlight and started wiring up the M unit.
    Here's where it sits currently.

1980 SH - 100% custom wired Road warrior with motogadget everything.
    Looks like a scrap heap, runs like a dream.
    Master of the wires.

https://youtu.be/toBWn2wkvOA

Here's a short video I put up today to highlight the project.
    Master of the wires.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNeverCat View Post
      https://youtu.be/toBWn2wkvOA

Here's a short video I put up today to highlight the project.
      Entertaining. 13 Orders for What? The replacement for the TCI?
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I would have left the bike as it was. Keep in-mind that this is not like most forums, and is a family-friendly site, so maybe a disclaimer with regard to the language in your videos should be stated prior to the link being posted.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
          Entertaining. 13 Orders for What? The replacement for the TCI?
          My business stuff, the channel isn't by any means dedicated to the bike build so the bulk was bike the rest was updates to my personal life stuff.

As far as my "language" is concerned, my bad, didn't think it would be a big deal, but I'll make sure to outline that in the future.
          Master of the wires.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
            I would have left the bike as it was. Keep in-mind that this is not like most forums, and is a family-friendly site, so maybe a disclaimer with regard to the language in your videos should be stated prior to the link being posted.
            Well if you had seen the 10ft paint job you would have seen it differently, the bike was full of wire nuts and so many little issues and after the acid dip I could see it's been dropped a few times as well.
            Everyone's going to have their opinion, but it's not even done yet...

With as many forums I've been on over the years there's always the 1 guy that hates anything but bone stock.
            I'm not that guy, I build stuff to please me and seeing as how I have the support of not only Ubisoft but a pretty decent subscriber count I guess I'm doing SOMETHING right...
            Master of the wires.

Comment

Just some observations and suggestions

Hey Cat,

Yes, we appreciate good stock machines, but several here including me have done a fair amount of mods. Good quality OEM parts are both getting rare and $$, and it's getting more difficult to do OEM type restores/rebuilds. You definitely have skills and a vision for your personal touch, so go for the gusto and enjoy.

Now, looking at the photos, you say it's an 81SH, however the timing/ALT covers do NOT have the inset painted ring on them, and so there's a chance that at least those parts were replaced, if not the entire engine. There is a Ser/Vin# on the clutch case that you can use to verify if the engine is stock and matches the VIN # on the frame, or if it's different which will indicate that it's had an engine transplant....also not uncommon!

You mentioned that you replaced the pickups, but didn't show photos of it, so we can't tell whether it's an 81 assembly....just the pickups and plate and vac. adv. pot, but there should NOT be any mechanical centrifical advance parts under the plate. IF it does have Cent. Adv. parts, then it's more likely that it's a 79-80 engine.

As Ian stated in your TCI thread, a fellow did do a Megasquirt conversion with a F.I. mod, but you're not looking to make it that complicated as far as I can tell.

However, the Megasquirt or Microsquirt control board still seems like you're really overcomplicating the ignition for just keeping it relatively stock without doing a F.I. conversion. If you would like some simpler TCI components, take a look at this Tech tip that was done to show that you can replace the OEM TCI with aftermarket automotive parts. However, this MOD requires the mechanical cent. vac. adv. parts to provide the proper advance timing. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9753

Hope your tail lights and turn signals are decently LARGE, and moderately widely spaced, as well as BRIGHT. Most 'young' folks think that everyone out there has the same good 20/20 vision that they have, and don't realize how POORLY folks can see and still qualify for a driver's license.

Here's a thread/tip I made to try to show and illustrate this to folks to show them why bikes are so invisible. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22346 Best viewed on a decent sized computer/video monitor, not on a smart phone!

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi TheNeverCat,

One thing you'll find we ALL here agree on...

We DIG pictures!
                Keep 'em comin', and rock on!

Lookin forward to seeing more of the project and final bike!
                Bob
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Oh, I love a good build Cat! And, I look forward to your work!! I'm just a ducker for yellow
                  1979 XS1100F
                  2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

This really intrigues me that a ignition control unit can be made from GM HEI modules. I opened and took a read of the thread that TC posted and made a copy of it. Could someone please identify some of the components that are in the picture but are not labeled in the schematic? Look like a pair of capacitors or condensors beside the modules? What is the part # for these? Anything else I am missing?
                    Thanks much, Bob

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                      Hey Cat,

Yes, we appreciate good stock machines, but several here including me have done a fair amount of mods. Good quality OEM parts are both getting rare and $$, and it's getting more difficult to do OEM type restores/rebuilds. You definitely have skills and a vision for your personal touch, so go for the gusto and enjoy.

Now, looking at the photos, you say it's an 81SH, however the timing/ALT covers do NOT have the inset painted ring on them, and so there's a chance that at least those parts were replaced, if not the entire engine. There is a Ser/Vin# on the clutch case that you can use to verify if the engine is stock and matches the VIN # on the frame, or if it's different which will indicate that it's had an engine transplant....also not uncommon!

You mentioned that you replaced the pickups, but didn't show photos of it, so we can't tell whether it's an 81 assembly....just the pickups and plate and vac. adv. pot, but there should NOT be any mechanical centrifical advance parts under the plate. IF it does have Cent. Adv. parts, then it's more likely that it's a 79-80 engine.

As Ian stated in your TCI thread, a fellow did do a Megasquirt conversion with a F.I. mod, but you're not looking to make it that complicated as far as I can tell.

However, the Megasquirt or Microsquirt control board still seems like you're really overcomplicating the ignition for just keeping it relatively stock without doing a F.I. conversion. If you would like some simpler TCI components, take a look at this Tech tip that was done to show that you can replace the OEM TCI with aftermarket automotive parts. However, this MOD requires the mechanical cent. vac. adv. parts to provide the proper advance timing. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9753

Hope your tail lights and turn signals are decently LARGE, and moderately widely spaced, as well as BRIGHT. Most 'young' folks think that everyone out there has the same good 20/20 vision that they have, and don't realize how POORLY folks can see and still qualify for a driver's license.

Here's a thread/tip I made to try to show and illustrate this to folks to show them why bikes are so invisible. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22346 Best viewed on a decent sized computer/video monitor, not on a smart phone!

T.C.
                      I'm guessing the covers are different because of the drops the bike has seen (indicated by the tank) I'll check the vin's next time I'm at the shop.

At this point it looks like what I'm going to end up doing is rebuilding a TCI but with solid capacitors and more reliable component. Seeing as how the motogadget stuff has already got me will over $2k alone another $500 part that's going to take up even more time to figure out might just be best to upgrade the old dog with new bits.
                      Master of the wires.

Comment

Also anything that is complete trash on the bike will be up for sale. So please let me know if there is anything in particular you all may need.
                        The bike came with TONS of spare parts I won't need.
                        Master of the wires.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                          Oh, I love a good build Cat! And, I look forward to your work!! I'm just a ducker for yellow
                          Oh... This yellow looked like a blind man with a spray can invited every bug in town to party on it.

That paired with the crusty badges made me wanna start fresh.
                          Master of the wires.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNeverCat View Post
                            Also anything that is complete trash on the bike will be up for sale. So please let me know if there is anything in particular you all may need.
                            The bike came with TONS of spare parts I won't need.
                            that isn't* complete trash
                            Master of the wires.

Comment

It has been a Long time since I last updated, a lot happned in my life some good A LOT BAD.
                              But... She's alive!

Let me start out by saying a big THANK YOU to those of you dedicated to these forums and keeping people like me informed on whats good bad and ugly on these machines so we can avoid headaches and making the same mistakes twice.

A few people gave me flack for when I first started this project because the bike didn't look that bad... Let me tell you, IT WAS BAD I could have restored it butt he more and more I got down to the nuts and bolts, the more random mismatched parts I found.

Currently the only thing she really needs is for me to finish the seat, the pan is done and ready I just need foam and leather (the seat currently on is just temporary).

So lets get started shall we?

I had been putting off the bike for a while, I was stressed out and very frustrated, Wiring a bike from the 80's to a bunch of new age technology was probably one of the biggest challenges I have ever taken on in my years of building machines.
                              (We'll get more into that later)
                              I was out with my friend one day and I saw these two guys riding and I said to my friend, "THAT! THAT'S MY STYLE, that's what I love, strait out of the scrap heap, function over form!"

Just so happened later that day they come by the bar I frequent, we chatted it up for a bit and a few beers later had convinced me that no matter how financially screwed I was to NOT sell my bike... That was the day I decided "I'm finishing that stupid bike ASAP."
                              20170707_195242(0) by Nik G., on Flickr

So that night I stayed up until 6am, I read the tear down manual from front to back, read the schematics posted here for the TCI, measured voltage all over, burned my hands and busted my knuckles.
                              But I was Determined to just keep going, My life had not been so smooth and I NEEDED this, I NEEDED to not let another thing defeat me that I knew I could overcome.
                              20170717_101127 by Nik G., on Flickr

More and more and more wiring...
                              20170718_134139 by Nik G., on Flickr
                              20170717_133254 by Nik G., on Flickr

WARNING
                              Probably use foul language
                              UPDATE 1

Uppon first crank there was a bit of an issue... a fire... A LOT OF FIRE...
                              (Video is mostly me explaining what all happened and is part of my VLOG so feel free to skip it)
                              UP IN FLAMES

Then... More fire... Because I never learn from my mistakes the first time.
                              Call me ghost rider

20170723_155104 by Nik G., on Flickr

But I never gave up, I kept going I kept making mistakes and kept busting knuckles I was determined to bring this thing life for the first time in 4 years.
                              20170724_085041 by Nik G., on Flickr

Finally got her started (not perfect, but it was a start) (Live stream)
                              IT LIVES

So my buddy loaned me a seat to which I Just strapped on with belts, Hell I was going to ride without one, I JUST WANTED TO RIDE!.
                              Long story short-er I was able to get it run DECENTLY but still had issues with the charging system but that was to be expected when you make an entire wiring harness from scratch.
                              20170730_163619 by Nik G., on Flickr

I did however learn the need for a good tune on carbs when I took a turn one day and it went from dead to full throttle and threw me off the bike, I was okay but the bike got a few scratches and some things had to be redone AGAIN...
                              So I benched the carbs, only to find they are not for an xs1100 (unknown) they are slightly over sized and don't even match the year. Needless to say it was a HEADACHE getting them tuned up right.

FAST FORWARD
                              I was able to ride around, I finally had my bike, it didn't stop good, it didn't run great and it left me DOA on more than one occasion but I was on it.
                              20170805_172605 by Nik G., on Flickr

If you are wondering where I had the triple tree clamp made check out @neverstopbuilding on instagram and hit him up, super nice dude, with a rad XS cafe build
                              Screenshot_20171004-130027 by Nik G., on Flickr

So I'll leave out the crazy amount of tuning, and pain involved and lets just fire off some pictures. We all know this is why your really here.

20170811_141452 by Nik G., on Flickr

20170812_172451 by Nik G., on Flickr

20171001_025408 by Nik G., on Flickr

20170908_221037 by Nik G., on Flickr

REMEMBER, no matter how "pretty" that top photo looks... It ain't my style and that paint job was horrible, not to mention all the mismatched parts.
                              V V
                              20170801_212118 by Nik G., on Flickr

The front yellow headlight was horrible, after a few week of riding it started flickering on and off and I had enough.
                              I then found these things (Holy hell bright) giving the bike it's new name "Johnny 5"
                              20170908_204939 by Nik G., on Flickr

20170909_143903 by Nik G., on Flickr

Running joke
                              20170922_155008 by Nik G., on Flickr

New brake lines from revival cycle and master. stops on a dime now.
                              20170916_191727 by Nik G., on Flickr

20170916_191637 by Nik G., on Flickr

Most recent, from last weekend out cruising with some friends on their fancy scooter.
                              20171001_152930 by Nik G., on Flickr

And to no surprise my brother had to get a bike too right after mine was done, gotta say it's fun, but it's no XS.
                              20170920_211930 by Nik G., on Flickr

She still takes a minute to start due tot he over sized carbs but all and all she runs like a dream, I do have a problem with ever schmuck on foot trying to "HELP ME" start the bike (Video on my instagram @Thenevercat)
                              But for all the blood sweat and tears I'm very happy to say... I'm one damn proud owner of a fantastic machine that I built with my own two hands.

20170922_154222 by Nik G., on Flickr

If you want to see more pictures, videos or just need a good laugh check out my instagram at @Thenevercat

Again, thank you to everyone who has helped out with tips and trick as well as those of you who poured hours into the forums to make them so useful.

NOT AL HEROES WEAR CAPES.
                              Master of the wires.

Comment

Working...
                              X