Help Needed??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed??

I have a 78 XS 1100 everything working well other than a fuel leak. I had the carbs cleaned at a shop. I had been getting leakage from the left side. I checked the bolts on the bottom of carbs they were loose. Last night I go to garage to get it out to ride, and it is leaking from the right side couldn't see exactly where it was coming from will look more in the daytime. I shook the bike back and forth and fuel just poured out on the floor. I am getting very discouraged. Could this be the floats not seating. How can I correct this? I am not the greatest wrench. Thanks.
    78 XS 1100 E 18K miles

Take a close look at the fuel tees between the #3 and #4 carbs. These tees are above the float bowls and they dry out after a couple dozen years and can leak.

They are no longer available from Yamaha. Do a search here for fuel tees and you'll find there is a source for new ones, although they are pricey. IIRC, the site is motorcyclecarbs.com ?

HTH

Randy

Comment

Check it out more and see if you can verify where the fuel is coming from.
      You say that you shook it, and fuel was pouring out. Was the fuel sitting in the air box prior to your shaking?
      Those fuel "T"s do dry-out, but I would imagine that most of the leaky XS11's out there are having issues with petcocks and sticky carb floats. Both of these issues have been addressed in this forum, and are not too dificult to tackle yourself.
      Do a search, (top right corner of screen) of petcocks and floats.
      Good luck, let us know.
      Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

The first time I tried to show someone my XS1100 gas started leaking out bad. The problem was a combination of too high float level and the gasket on the carb. bowl was cracked. It was easy to spot the gas comming out the side of the carb., but removing the air filter and watching for fuel to come out of the one of the carb tubs on the inside of air box will at least tell you which side (#1&2 or #3&4) the gas is comming from. It has to be fixed and if I can do it you can. I can now remove, work on, and replace the carbs. three or four times a day. Get a book and do it yourself.
        79 XS1100 SF & 1989 Venture Royal & 98 Valkrye
        It's not the speed that will get you it's the sudden stop.

Comment

Working...
        X