Speedo Woe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo Woe

We had an unusually warm spell in November that enabled an extended riding season.

I took the Bagger out for a 100 mile ride, and halfway through the trip, the speedometer started sounding like a turbine whine. By the time I got home, it was making a loud ZZZHHHHHTTTTT sound continuously.

I found the input coupler shaft was loose in the die cast housing.

When I was assembling the bike over the summer, I had noticed the speedometer seemed unusually noisy, so I removed the reed switch and used the shaft of a broken Q-Tip to dab a spot of lithium grease on the worm gear. Since it looked hard to get grease inside the input coupler shaft, I put a couple of drops of oil in there for good measure. Seemed happy at the time, but it only lasted 2,000 miles.

So, it was apparent I would have to replace or repair the speedometer. The cosmetics were almost like new, and I really wanted to preserve the odometer reading. I decided to pay $$ to have it repaired professionally.

There is a local shop near my home that has decades of experience, but their web sire suggested they specialized more in the cosmetic repair more then the mechanical stuff.

I found Joel Levine in Georgia, with a web site that suggested more capability for mechanical repair. I sent it there and paid $275 + $9 shipping (ouch) to have it rebuilt.

The quality of the work is as good as it gets. The crimp around the can has very small, neat, evenly spaced nibble marks on the unexposed surface,... and nothing at all on the visible surface

The mechanical feel is very tight (not wobbly) and very smooth again.

I can't wait for a warm spell to hear it (or not hear it) spin again.

I thought other might like to hear about a repair option for Speedometers and get feedback about a good vendor.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

I had heard of Joel Levine, but very few are willing to pay for their work, at least in our circle. I'm glad to know you had good luck with it. I may have to pay them a visit. I had a nice SF speedo make that noise and then blow apart.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Speedo Woe

Are you sure it's the speedo itself? It sounds like it might be the cable: that's what usually causes noise, and a wobbling needle, too.

Try taking out the cable, lubing it with grease, and replacing. It might cure it.

Comment

My speedometer is shaky. I will try lubing the cable.
        80 G

Comment

Originally posted by speedlimit85 View Post
          My speedometer is shaky. I will try lubing the cable.
          Hi speedlimit85,
          Disconnect at both ends and make sure the inner cable is not kinked/ bent. If it is a inner can be replaced from NAPA/carquest type store then cut to length. If you had the wheel off recently make sure you engaged the drive properly when you reassembled.
          I hope it is not the speedo as that is a bitch to fix.
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Wow! Lubing the cable worked. I am pleasantly surprised.
            80 G

Comment

Working...
            X